Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL Learning progression

Author  Topic 

SQLStott
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-24 : 13:59:04
I have been learning SQL 08 for about 7 months now and MySQL for about 3 months. I had a college course on MySQL but I couldn't get my head around it quick enough? I have continued with the work and have the basics of MySQL down now. The gentleman I work for says this probably isn't for me, I really like working with databases (I'm teaching myself), but I work full-time, teach college in a classroom, family, grandkids,so I can only work on it when I can. My question is this progression normal,I feel if I was in front of it everyday for say 8 hrs I would be farther along then I am presently? I want to become successful at this, but I need some suggestions.

Craig A Stott

gwilson67
Starting Member

42 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 00:45:03
Hello Craig,

Don't give up. It just takes a little patience to learn. I would suggest you take a look at a TSQL Code Repository. Having worked as a SQL Server Trainer and Consultant over the last decade, I developed many scripts that have been extremely valuable in performing my duties. Whether that was training or developing SQL Server solutions for clients. I started keeping all of my special scripts in a database that I shared with other consultants. They also were able to add a lot of their scripts also into the database.

Our lifetime of learning is now contained within this application. If I could have had this tool when I first started out, I would have surpassed everyone that I worked with because the ideas and resources contained in this application is something that usually comes from years and years of experience.

You can add more scripts by just clicking a button. You'll never forget how to do something. I use it at every client engagement. I'm always extended and tapped on to help other departments with their SQL Server problems.

Let me know if you want more information about the repository.

Greg
http://www.freewebstore.org/tsqlcoderepository
Powerful tool for SQL Server development
Go to Top of Page

jackv
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2179 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 01:39:35
SQLStott , focus on the basics .
Understand RDBMS theory.
Read the technical documentation of the product you are using.
Practise as much as possible, and document everything you learn

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

SQLStott
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 09:14:26
Greg, thank-you very much for this information,funds are short right now but I have saved the link. I talked with the staff person where I'm employed and he said that he was just rolled into it and said "I would be having the same problems as you, I still have to look up syntax and I have been doing this for over 10 years". I just need to find the resource that will help me gain the most with the time I'm allotted. Anything else you could provide me, I would deeply appreciate.
Thanks again for your reply

Best regards

Craig

quote:
Originally posted by gwilson67

Hello Craig,

Don't give up. It just takes a little patience to learn. I would suggest you take a look at a TSQL Code Repository. Having worked as a SQL Server Trainer and Consultant over the last decade, I developed many scripts that have been extremely valuable in performing my duties. Whether that was training or developing SQL Server solutions for clients. I started keeping all of my special scripts in a database that I shared with other consultants. They also were able to add a lot of their scripts also into the database.

Our lifetime of learning is now contained within this application. If I could have had this tool when I first started out, I would have surpassed everyone that I worked with because the ideas and resources contained in this application is something that usually comes from years and years of experience.

You can add more scripts by just clicking a button. You'll never forget how to do something. I use it at every client engagement. I'm always extended and tapped on to help other departments with their SQL Server problems.

Let me know if you want more information about the repository.

Greg

Craig A Stott
Go to Top of Page

SQLStott
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 10:28:47
Thanks Jack for your reply,I will go over the DBA page and reference it. Again I appreciate your response.

Best
regards

Craig

quote:
Originally posted by jackv

SQLStott , focus on the basics .
Understand RDBMS theory.
Read the technical documentation of the product you are using.
Practise as much as possible, and document everything you learn

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com

Craig A Stott
Go to Top of Page

gwilson67
Starting Member

42 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-25 : 11:00:10
Craig,

You may want to try some of the free online virtual labs for SQL Server. I think that are great learning tools also.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/cc138238

Hands on Labs:
http://weblogs.asp.net/israelio/archive/2005/09/21/425709.aspx

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Jason W
Starting Member

19 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-26 : 17:43:53
After getting the hang of basic coding in SQL Server, you will want to start making sure your code runs efficiently. This set of tutorials will help you resolve common performance issues with code. A lot of questions DBAs get are "why is this running so slow" and I hope this helps you in resolving these types of issues. It took me hours upon hours of searching the internet to get the hang of these techniques when I was first learning.

www.sqloptimizationsschool.com
Go to Top of Page

SQLStott
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-28 : 11:15:38
Thanks Jason for your response, I will look into this.

Best regards

Craig

quote:
Originally posted by Jason W

After getting the hang of basic coding in SQL Server, you will want to start making sure your code runs efficiently. This set of tutorials will help you resolve common performance issues with code. A lot of questions DBAs get are "why is this running so slow" and I hope this helps you in resolving these types of issues. It took me hours upon hours of searching the internet to get the hang of these techniques when I was first learning.

www.sqloptimizationsschool.com

Craig A Stott
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-28 : 13:48:36
I would invent a project for yourself. One that interests you and build it. This does a few things: It keeps you interested because it's a subject that YOU're interested in. It allows you to set a tangible goal and to reach it.

Sports scores, fantasy league record keeping, budget keeping, student scores -- whatever. As long as it interests you.

Also, read the posts here. See if you can solve other people's problems. This is a great exercise for you, and you help someone else along the way.

To anyone who says "You're not cut out for this" I bet you remember that a few years from now when YOU are in position to hire THEM
Go to Top of Page

SQLStott
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2011-08-30 : 08:51:50
Thanks Russell for the response, I have created a few DB's with info I'm interested in and yes it does make it easier.

Best regards

Craig A Stott

quote:
Originally posted by russell

I would invent a project for yourself. One that interests you and build it. This does a few things: It keeps you interested because it's a subject that YOU're interested in. It allows you to set a tangible goal and to reach it.

Sports scores, fantasy league record keeping, budget keeping, student scores -- whatever. As long as it interests you.

Also, read the posts here. See if you can solve other people's problems. This is a great exercise for you, and you help someone else along the way.

To anyone who says "You're not cut out for this" I bet you remember that a few years from now when YOU are in position to hire THEM

Craig A Stott
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -