Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 someone open a window

Author  Topic 

TG
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

6065 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-21 : 15:28:05
Because I just had the door slammed on my @ss.

I, as well as about other 7 folks, got called into meeting on Friday and got this speech:
Due to restructuring of the company your positions have been terminated effective immediately. Please pack up your stuff and leave.

After almost 8 years with the company I have one week of insurance coverage and about one week severance pay.

I guess this is a pretty common story lately but I have to admit I didn't see it happening to me. All the execs have been swapped out in the last six months or so - They gotta do what they gotta do but I think they don't really have a clue who of us are strong contributors and the extent of the roles we were playing. There are now several active products/processes with no subject matter experts left to deal with issues. Oh well...guess it is someone else's problem now.

Be One with the Optimizer
TG

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-21 : 15:31:57
So sorry, TG. You should have no problem finding another job as I know the job market for SQL professionals, especially experienced SQL DBAs, in the U.S. is very strong right now.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-21 : 15:47:14
Thanks Tara. Nice to hear your thoughts on the job market - I tend to agree. I've worked in this area so long I have a big network of ex-coworkers so that can help too. My wife and I are actually in pretty good shape and will not have a problem rolling with this. But several of the other folks are in a much tougher bind - sole providers with kids, mortage, etc.

TG
Go to Top of Page

Transact Charlie

3451 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-21 : 18:56:18
Wow. That really sucks.

Best wishes - after reading your posts I'm sure you won't have a problem finding another job if you want one though.

Charlie.

Charlie
===============================================================
Msg 3903, Level 16, State 1, Line 1736
The ROLLBACK TRANSACTION request has no corresponding BEGIN TRANSACTION
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-21 : 20:03:08
"...one week of insurance coverage and about one week severance pay."

That's pretty cold, unless they're so short of cash they're about to go out of business.

Just found out my boss is being let go. I could be in the same position soon, but I don't really know.

I always tell people they should never consider their jobs safe. Even if the company can't afford to get along without them, the people in charge may not know that.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 10:57:23
I have never understood why, in the USA - land of enterprise - employees have such a raw deal.

In the UK you would be entitled to 1 week's pay per full year you have been employed (1.5 weeks / year if you are over 40-ish)

You are expected to work your notice period (whatever defined in contract - its at least the same length of time that you have to serve notice on your employer), or payment in lieu if you are let-go before that time.

Plus you would be entitled to holiday time that you had not yet taken, pro rata.

Severance pay not taxed - up to £30K I think.

Plus there are various other tax kick-backs when you are made redundant (although if you walk straight into another job at the same pay I think that would not give you any additional benefit)

Good luck finding another position
Go to Top of Page

talleyrand
Starting Member

35 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 11:34:25
Was that line from management or from HR? Usually your insurance lasts through the end of the month unless they go out of their way to terminate it. My friend in HR also indicated that it's fairly common for severance packages in cases like this to be 1 month per year. It's generally in the company's best interest to not have angry termed employees because they then talk to lawyers and then it gets expensive for everyone.
Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett

3385 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 11:35:27
Sorry to hear that.
In the UK companies seem desperate for experienced staff - while others are downsizing.

It's a bosses job to take the credit for work done by his staff - sometimes they get to believe it.

It's about time you moved on anyway after 8 years :).

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

sdyckes
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 11:40:25
That totally sucks!

But you will find a job in short order. I know of several in Charlotte NC.

good luck

Stephen
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 12:09:04
I am sorry about that TG.
What a disappointment!
Good luck!

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 12:23:17
Oh so sorry TG to hear the news!
I'm sure you'll find yourself in a much better job shortly
good luck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL Server MVP
http://visakhm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MuadDBA

628 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 12:27:44
In the US, employers over a certain size (typically VERY small) must provide you with the option of COBRA coverage. Any time within the first 30 days after employment ends, you can opt to purchase the coverage and have it retroactive to the time of your termination, so many people use it as a 30-day get out of jail free card while they transition to a new employer.

They also must pay out any accrued vacation time you had earned but not taken.

Best of luck on the new search. Not sure where you're located but my company has a couple DBA openings right now and there are many more in my immediate area. My handle on twitter is the same as my username here....formerly crazyjoe :)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 12:48:26
I had no idea you were formerly crazyjoe on here!

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett

3385 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 13:04:36
If you were in the UK I would say "find yourself a contract while you decide what you want to do" - But the market's a bit different in the USA.
I've been doing that for the last couple of decades and still haven't decided.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 13:10:53
Sorry to hear you got @$$ raped.

BTW - COBRA is only mandatory for over company’s 100 employees.

Keep an eye on the company if they attempt to hire individuals even remotely like your job description you have grounds for a wrongful termination suit.

Sometimes companies will replace with new blood to cut costs and benefits.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-22 : 13:23:05
Thanks for all the well wishes - they are greatly appreciated.

>>That's pretty cold, unless they're so short of cash they're about to go out of business.
The company is in desperate need to cut costs. But their track record prior to this was still pretty heartless in regards to severance.

>>Was that line from management or from HR? Usually your insurance lasts through the end of the month...
It was a well rehearsed and coordinated effort :) And yes, my insurance lasts through the end of the month - so about 1 1/2 weeks in this case.

>>I always tell people they should never consider their jobs safe.
I totally agree (even before this happened )

My first order of business is to try and enjoy a little bit of time not obligated to be somewhere. For folks lucky enough to be regularly employed the amount of free time time between your last summer off of school and retirement (or death) is ridiculously short. After a brief respite I'll look for another horse to climb up on. I'll keep you informed...

TG
Go to Top of Page

Michael Valentine Jones
Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)

7020 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-23 : 01:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by TG

Thanks for all the well wishes - they are greatly appreciated.

>>That's pretty cold, unless they're so short of cash they're about to go out of business.
The company is in desperate need to cut costs. But their track record prior to this was still pretty heartless in regards to severance.

If they've been treating employees like this, they've probably been doing the same to customers, so that would explain financial issues. It goes around and comes around.

CODO ERGO SUM
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-29 : 01:58:46
>> For folks lucky enough to be regularly employed the amount of free time time between your last summer off of school and retirement (or death) is ridiculously short

that's why it's important to find a job you really love doing.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-10 : 09:19:57
Update:

I have been really enjoying my time off and actually got a large house project completed. As I was just gearing up to start the hunt for a new job the CTO of my company reached out to me. It seems that he's had a change of heart and wants me back. Bottom line is that I (re)start next week with all the benefits I had accrued from the first 7 years plus nice little raise. I'm not sure it is the smartest career decision I've made but it feels right. I'm happy, my coworkers are very happy (and relieved), and my wife is thrilled :)

TG
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-10 : 09:26:40
[LIKE]

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

DonAtWork

2167 Posts

Posted - 2012-02-10 : 10:20:21
Awesome TG!

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx
How to ask: http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/brettk/archive/2005/05/25/5276.aspx

For ultra basic questions, follow these links.
http://www.sql-tutorial.net/
http://www.firstsql.com/tutor.htm
http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -