Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 What is 'Data Path' in SQL Server Config Mgr for?

Author  Topic 

Maa421S
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2012-04-17 : 16:11:59
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what the 'Data Path' value means. I see it when I run SQL Server Configuration Manager, left click SQL Server Services, right click the instance in question, left click Properties, select Advanced Tab. It is the third entry on the screen and is greyed out so that I cannot change it.

When I press F1, the documentation states that it is the path to the binaries for this instance of SQL Server. Since the folder no longer exists and SQL Server is up and running, I can't see how that is possible. As far as I know, the binaries are installed on drive C: and the path specified is a different drive entirely. The 'Data Path' shown is the folder where the system tables used to be stored. I have since relocated the system files and manually removed the folder. The server seems fine even though the folder does not exist. I just happened to notice the 'Data Path' when I was reviewing the settings.

Here are my questions:

Is there a way to change this to be a valid entry? Perhaps a Registry Key I can update?

Is the F1 documentation incorrect when it states that 'Data Path' refers to the location of the SQL Server binaries?

Does the system use 'Data Path' for anything that is going to break later on?

Thanks for any ideas. I have searched all over for answers and come up with essentially nothing.

SQL Server 2008 Std running on Server 2008

Dimbulbz
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2013-05-05 : 13:15:30
Good question. I'm looking for a solution to how to change this from the registry. What has happened is that we are being forced to move the System databases (NOT the same location as the executables (C: drive, Binn etc... I know we cannot move THAT directory)

Just to clarify: our SQL server system file (with binn directory and executables) is on the C: drive, we are not attempting to move it. Back When the instance was installed, we placed the System Databases (Master model, msdb) on a different drive (K:). We now have to relocate the three system databases off of the current drive to another (R:). We have done this and SQL is running with the system files on the new drive location. When we attempt to remove the \MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\ folder on the old K: drive, It shows as read only and in configuration manager, the Data Path entry under SQL server properties still points to the K:\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER and is greyed so that it cannot be modified.

I understand there are registry entries that populate this entry. Under 2005 they were:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSEARCH\LANGUAGE.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer and change the value for "FullTextDefaultPath" to the new location.
•In HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQLServer change the value for BackupDirectory and defaultlog to new location
•In HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Setup change the value for SQLDataRoot to the new path. (This updates the Data Path value that is greyed out in the SQL Server configuration manager).
•In HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Replication change the value for WorkingDirectory to the new path.
•In HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MICROSOFT SQL Server\MSSQL.1\SQLServerAgent change the value for ErrorLogFile and WorkingDirectory to the new path.

Is this still valid in SQL2012? and... Are we the only ones who have to do this?

Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2013-05-06 : 11:44:48
How to move the system databases
Go to Top of Page

DBADEV
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-07-17 : 17:03:20
Could you(user Dimbulbz)please share how you changed the data path which was read only and in configuration manager, the Data Path entry under SQL server properties which pointed to the old folder and was greyed out. We need to do this in SQL server 2008.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -