Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2012)
 Float datatypes does not add decimal point

Author  Topic 

rama108
Posting Yak Master

115 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-07 : 18:06:47
Hello,
I have a float datatype and it does not add a decimal point if a number is whole. For example, 500 should be 500.00. I cannot use decimal instead of float, otherwise C# complains about it. How can I keep the float datatype and display the number as 500.00?

Thank you for your time,
Ram.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-07 : 18:37:20
You need to figure out why "C#" is complaining about the decimal data type as float is not the proper data type in most cases. It should be used for scientific data ONLY. It's not C# that is the problem. It's your code. We use decimal data type without any issues in C#, Java, etc.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

rama108
Posting Yak Master

115 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-07 : 19:45:39
Hello Tara,
I change the datatype from float to Decimal(18,2) in SQL, then I update the edmx. When I look at the generated code, the column is showing double instead of decimal in C#. I cannot change this to decimal manully since this is generated data. Then when I run it, it shows the error as "the property could not be set to a 'System.Decimal' value. You must set this property to a non-null value of type 'System.Double'. Also, note that there are no null values in the data for this column. This column is defined as not null.
Go to Top of Page

rama108
Posting Yak Master

115 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-07 : 20:11:04
The issue was that i had float as datatype in Sql and then added the edmx. After I changed the datatype to Decimal, the edmx update would not update the datatype in the C# project. So had to remove the class from edmx. Added it back again and error is gone. Thanks for your time.
Go to Top of Page

madhivanan
Premature Yak Congratulator

22864 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-08 : 07:25:21
Also note that you can easily apply the number formation in C# using a String.Format method

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -