Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Specify cast is not valid

Author  Topic 

ttakou
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-08 : 20:16:51
Dear all,
when trying to restore my SQL Server database on SQL 2008 I got the error message Specify case not valid.

I don't have any other backup file and this is my prod database. any ideas?
actually the virtual server crashed and we were able to retrieved this database from the VM datastore after a lot of effort.

ttakou
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-09 : 01:24:32
I decided to install SQL Server 2012 an when trying to restore the database from the backup I am now having the error message below
"===================================

Restore of database 'Glue' failed. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RelationalEngineTasks)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RelationalEngineTasks.RestoreDatabaseTaskFormComponent.PerformTask(ITaskExecutionContext context)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RelationalEngineTasks.RestoreDatabaseTaskFormComponent.Perform(ITaskExecutionContext context)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.TaskForms.TaskExecutionManager.ExecuteTaskSequence(ISfcScriptCollector collector)

===================================

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The operating system returned the error '5(Access is denied.)' while attempting 'RestoreContainer::ValidateTargetForCreation' on 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\Glue.mdf'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=11.0.2100.60+((SQL11_RTM).120210-1917+)&LinkId=20476

Program Location:

at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.RestorePlan.Execute()
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RelationalEngineTasks.RestoreDatabaseTaskFormComponent.PerformTask(ITaskExecutionContext context)

"
Go to Top of Page

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-16 : 19:06:05
What version was the original database running on? You can restore an older version on a newer version but not the other way around. Also, SQL 2008 is considered older than SQL 2008R2.

You also mentioned that you had to pull the database off of the VM Datastore. Are you using an actual backup file (*.BAK) and DATABASE RESTORE or are you using database files (*.MDF, *.NDF, *.LDF) and trying to ATTACH the database? Or is it something else completely...?

===============================================================================
“Everyone wants a better life: very few of us want to be better people.”
-Alain de Botton
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -