Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Which 2012 SQL Server files to download

Author  Topic 

SgtRock
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-12 : 02:53:00

I am taking a Continuing Ed class to learn more about SQL. The Instructor is less than congenial in my Ph.D. opinion. Simply says to download 2012 SQL Server with NO further instructions. Great. There seems to be 5 individual files on the Microsoft Website of 64 bit natures:
ENU\x64\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe
ENU\x64\SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe
ENU\x64\SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe
ENU\x64\SqlLocalDB.MSI
ENU\x64\SQLManagementStudio_x64_ENU.exe
Not knowing what to do, I have downloaded and installed all but the SqlLocal file.
Question: Should I also install this file to complete the set of 5?
I repeat this is for a learning environment with just a mini-database from the text: The Complete Reference SQL Reference by Groff, et.al.
Question: Have I downloaded and installed too many files? If so what do I do - delete some? If not, then just leave them?
Question: How do I know the appropriate file to "run" or do they all run - doesn't seem likely?
Question: How do you get the SQL 2012 Server to run in the first place.

Apologize to begin with - I know zip about this and the instructor, like I said, is less than communicative and assuredly not congenial!

Your helpfulness is appreciated
MWakeland

MWakeland(SgtRock)

SgtRock
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-12 : 12:37:49
Just as an FYI - I've answered most of my own questions. I was able to figure out the files containing the x64 are in fact 64 bit - those with x86 are 32 bit - why not say 32? Puzzling to me. It seems the main file to download is the Management Studio - then the overall SQL Server program is the one listed as ENU\x64\SQLEXPR_x64_ENU.exe

I also determined if you downloaded and installed 4 of the files, except the smallest one ENU\x64\SqlLocalDB.MSI, - it will NOT install for it says there are "higher" versions of it already installed on the system. If one of the gurus knows about each file - would you mind taking time to explain the difference between then? THANKS IN ADVANCE!! The pyramids only have lasted due to a good foundation - it would be nice to have a good foundation in SQL and SQL Server 2012 - anyone recommend a good book or books, websites.

May all have a most enjoyable weekend.
MWakeland
Dallas,TX

MWakeland(SgtRock)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -