Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 MySQL database verification

Author  Topic 

arorasaurabh82
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-20 : 08:14:42
HI I am new to database, in one of project MS-SQL database has been migrated to MySQL and i have been assigned job to verify the integrity of the database after migration. I am not aware of database as it is not my cup of cofee, but forced to drink it. Need expert advise in how to verify the data was migrated properly or not.

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-20 : 09:27:46
You need to compare the data in sql server to that in mysql.
Probably they do not have the same data representation which will have been taken care of in transforming te data for migration.
There wlil be two parts - verifying that the those transformations end up with a viable representation of the data for the business needs and to verify that the migration hs been carried out correctly and completely.

Have the tables just been coppied across using the same structures?
If so then the first step should be ri compare the row counts from the tables.
If the structures are not the same then you need to look at counts of business entities.

Then you need to reconcile the detailed data which means comparing the data in the two systems. You can do this by an extract from the two systems and a compare or you could take a random sample from each table and compare those with the other system

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

arorasaurabh82
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-25 : 00:57:35
Thanks for the response, do we have any open source tools or scipts available which can do this comparison. I am looking for more automation opportunities rather going for manual process.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -