Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL Server Timeout expired. SSMS connection issue

Author  Topic 

fort
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-23 : 06:51:28
MS SQL SERVER 2005..issue
Error message:Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

When ever SQL Service is started we can connect for SSMS for the first time, however after few hours its throws up the above error.

Not able to find any error logged in event-viewer and error log file as well

Pls Help

Regards
Rajendra

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-23 : 08:24:00
Is the error happening when you are trying to open up SSMS, or is it when you are try to run a query from within SSMS, or is it when you try to run a query from outside of SSMS (via an application or sqlcmd or something else)?

Are you running the query from the same computer as where the SQL Server is installed, or is it from a different computer? If you are running from a different computer, see if you are able to ping the server. It might be a network connectivity issue.

Also check if the server is busy i.e., cpu and memory, and what else is consuming the resources on the server.
Go to Top of Page

fort
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-24 : 06:34:30
Hi James,

Thanks for your reply,

We can login to the SQL server when the SQL services is restarted, after few hrs of restart it throws this errors,not able to login.
I am trying to log-in from the local server thru SSMS.
I am not running any quereis.

Thanks,
Rajendra
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -