Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Time difference

Author  Topic 

Mondeo
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

287 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-15 : 14:45:51
I've got this

UPDATE track_visits SET endtime = GETDATE() WHERE sessionid = @sessionid

My table track_visits also contains columns called starttime and duration

When I do the update above how can I also set my duration column to be the number of seconds between starttime and endtime?

Thanks

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-15 : 14:52:03
UPDATE track_visits SET endtime = GETDATE(), duration = datediff(ss, starttime, endtime) WHERE sessionid = @sessionid

Or switch endtime to GETDATE() in the datediff parameters, wasn't sure which you needed there.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-15 : 15:34:59
quote:
Originally posted by Mondeo

When I do the update above how can I also set my duration column to be the number of seconds between starttime and endtime?

I suggest that you either shouldn't have a duration column or it should be a derived column. I suppose it's possible to store and index that column for some purpose, but you are really wasting space when the value can be calculated from existing columns and has the potential to get out of sync.
Go to Top of Page

ScottPletcher
Aged Yak Warrior

550 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-16 : 13:04:18
Yes, duration should be a computed column, defined like so:

ALTER TABLE track_visits
ADD duration AS DATEDIFF(SECOND, starttime, endtime)

You should also decide if you want to "round up" or not, like this:
ALTER TABLE track_visits
ADD duration AS CAST(ROUND(DATEDIFF(MILLISECOND, starttime, endtime), 4) / 1000 AS int)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -