Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Performance issue in store procedure

Author  Topic 

mpolaiah
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-12 : 07:52:19
Hi Friends,

In my table have a 5000000 records and table have 60 columus and i created one primary key and 30 columns non-clusterd index.but i run the store procedure it take 20min like my sp is

create PROCEDURE sp_members
@fromDate datetime = null,
@toDate datetime = null
AS
BEGIN

SELECT *

FROM td_member J

where J.CreatedDateTime between @fromDate and @toDate
and (J.IsDeleted=0 OR J.ISDELETED IS Null)and j.IsActive = '1'
END

i pass the date between 2 days it run past.when pass the last one month it take 30 min.please help me

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-12 : 08:12:02
If you don't have an index on createddatetime, having one would help. If you have an index with 30 columns and createdtime is somewhere towards the end of the list of 30, then that wouldn't help much.

You can look at the execution plan to see where the bottleneck is. In SSMS menu, Query -> Include Actual Execution Plan and then run the query to see the execution plan.
Go to Top of Page

mpolaiah
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-12 : 08:21:29
Hi James,

we need all 30 columun index must in different search in sp it is need.what do and what not do?
Go to Top of Page

James K

3873 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-12 : 08:55:09
You can look at the execution plan to see where the bottleneck is. In SSMS menu, Query -> Include Actual Execution Plan and then run the query to see the execution plan.

It will also show you the missing indexes which can be useful.

When you have 5 million records and you want to filter, if you don't have the proper indexes, SQL Server has to read through all or most of that 5 million records. That is what is taking the time. So what you need to do is help out SQL Server by creating appropriate indexes.

What is the index that you currently have?
Go to Top of Page

mpolaiah
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-13 : 02:35:30
i am creating non clusterindex
create index index_name td_member(createddate)
Go to Top of Page

jackv

2179 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-13 : 06:26:52
You can also limit the columns , ie.e instead of using * , detail the columns.

Jack Vamvas
--------------------
http://www.sqlserver-dba.com
Go to Top of Page

ScottPletcher
Aged Yak Warrior

550 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-15 : 13:45:31
You need to cluster the table on CreatedDateTime. Anything else will waste time and resources.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -