Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Uninstalling SQL from VM clone on same network

Author  Topic 

cidr
Posting Yak Master

207 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-28 : 10:01:38
Hi,

Just a quick question if anyone's around.

I've cloned one of our VMs and joined it to the same domain as the VM host. I want to uninstall SQL Server 2008.

The VM, that the image was taken from is called SQLD01 and the new VM is called SQLD02.

However, when I go to uninstall SQL from SQLD02 it's asking me if I want to remove the SQL Server SQLD01.

Of course, in my naivety, I'm a little reluctant to do this incase I'm removing the actaul instance of SQLD01 which is what I don't want to do.

My question is, is it safe to delete this instance (SQLD01) from the local machine - SQLD02?

Thanks

jkrusic
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-28 : 15:58:04
Since you cloned server SQLD01 which hosted SQL Server default/named instance SQLD01, you will see the same instance name on the clone.

Example:
Type: VM Server (Original)
Server Name: SQLD01
SQL Instance Name: SQLD01

Type: Cloned VM Server
Server Name: SLQD01
SQL Instance Name: SQLD01

If you are worried you can always do a full backup during non-operational hours on SQLD01. But, uninstalling from SQLD02 would have zero affect on SQLD01 SQL instance.

What you could do is do this in a lab environment first, create a new server with basic database, clone it and then uninstall from the clone.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -