Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 access to SQL

Author  Topic 

mksdf
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-17 : 03:42:18
Hi,

I am converting a process at work from access to SQL. A lot of the queries involved are queries with joins on queries. What is the best method for doing this in SQL. At the moment I have written all the queries involved as SELECT blah blah blah INTO blah blah blah. Then dropping all the query results at the end but I feel like this might not be the best way of doing it. I think there is about 3 or 4 layers of queries. For example,

SELECT * FROM table1 JOIN query1...

query1 = SELECT * FROM table2 join query2...
query 2 = SELECT * FROM table3 join query3...

and so on.

I want it to be as easy to follow as possible. I thought about writing each query inside 1 big query but this quickly becomes very messy and hard to follow. If you need any more information let me know what you need and I'll provide. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-17 : 09:02:54
Standard way:

SELECT * FROM Table1 t1
JOIN (
SELECT * FROM TABLE2
) t2
ON t1.key = t2.key
Go to Top of Page

mksdf
Starting Member

26 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-18 : 04:47:10
ok. thanks. I have already tried this method and I said it is too messy. Thanks anyway
Go to Top of Page

sunder.bugatha
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-18 : 05:32:11
You can use Common Table Expressions instead :

With CTE ( col1, col2) AS (select col1, col2 from table2)
select * from table t1 join CTE
on t1.col1 = t2.col1

Hema Sunder
Go to Top of Page

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-18 : 08:54:51
Perhaps if you posted the whole Access query that you want to convert it might be easier to analyze.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -