Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 What are First Steps for dba in new Office?

Author  Topic 

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-15 : 02:01:52
Hi
I get a dba vacation in new office.
Please say me first and important steps for dba in new Office.
Whitch imfomation , I should get and what are most periority tasks.
thank you.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-15 : 12:01:16
I start by looking at the jobs, checking how maintenance type tasks are handled. I checked the Error Logs to see if there are any immediate issues. I check the load on the server. I get a sense for how busy it is, checking blocking, wait stats, PerfMon, etc. I check database properties, sp_configure, LPIM and other settings. I check how alerts are configured.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-16 : 03:38:36
thank you
Go to Top of Page

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-20 : 03:54:41
I Review The jobs. And in second step, I Looked at sql server Logs. 2 error messages repeated again and again.
- Login failed for user '.. a username$'. Reason: Could not find a login matching the name provided. [CLIENT: 82.99.193...]
- Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 5.
and I say that user name are 3 users like 3 server name : such this : domainName\server1name
and in application name wroted : "report server"
please say me about this messages .
Go to Top of Page

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-22 : 08:40:04
I found it.
We have 3 another servers that have linked server to this server.
and on these servers were run "report server" service that we do not need . I Stoped that services and stoped these errors .
bye
Go to Top of Page

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-04 : 06:36:15
I monitored this counter :
- Page life expectancy . and in docs told that good values should more than 300 seconds.
Questions :
1- is this value in milisecond
2- in our server this counter is 3.524.933 !! is it real. means that a page remain in memory for 3000 seconds?
thank you
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-05 : 13:12:41
300 seconds was the minimum value MANY YEARS AGO and no longer applies. The new recommendation is to watch it over time to know YOUR baseline. I believe Jonathan from SQL Skills has a calculation you can use though.

1. It's in seconds.
2. The highest value I've seen was around 100,000. If you've got values over 3 million, you've got a ton of memory for the database size. This is great!

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-10 : 03:19:44
Hi tkizer - Thankyou for your Help.
You wrote useful steps for start database administration in new Office : (I have some questions-...)
1- I start by looking at the jobs, checking how maintenance type tasks are handled.
>>(I done step 1 . (look at all jobs - some of these are about Backup , Reindex , ... and some about Business) - It's ok)
2- I checked the Error Logs to see if there are any immediate issues.
>>(I checked it. that's ok.)
3-I check the load on the server. I get a sense for how busy it is, checking blocking, wait stats, PerfMon, etc.
>>(How can I do it ? How do I check Blocking for example in one week ago? ... which counters I should Check It? and .. )
I will ask about steps 4 and 5 detail , later .
Thank you again .
Go to Top of Page

m.esteghamat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-14 : 04:20:23
Hi
I know these are beginners questions.
But show me guideline about this question. (last post. step 3)
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -