Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 ms sql server 2012(DBA) learning

Author  Topic 

fai
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-15 : 10:03:07
hello,

can anyone help me by guiding or providing a link to learn sql server DBA??? I need the command line method not the GUI(ssms)

my manager wants me to learn the ms sql server 2012 administration no the programming side just the dba part which includes

basic dba job duties like
Install and work with core components and tools
Create tables and index structures
Manipulate and retrieve data
Secure, manage, back up, and recover databases
managing retention times
Apply techniques for building high-performing applications
Use clustering, database mirroring, and log shipping

I tried looking on youtube it only has the GUI and very basic... I need video links/ learning material.. to start from the scratch..
I am a beginner oracle DBA..
my email: faisalrumi@gmail.com
thanks

faisal

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-15 : 19:29:54
I assume when you say the "command line method" you mean T-SQL scripting. There's nothing wrong with using the GUI but I prefer to script out most administrative tasks. As for how to learn the specific items in your list, I 'd start with books online, the online help that comes with SQL Server. It'll walk you through the steps involved and usually offers the answer in either GUI, T-SQL scripting or API format. To pick up things, in general, I visit various sites (like this one) and try to answer the questions that are presented. When you feel comfortable that your answer would be useful to someone, post your effort. Even if your attempt is imprecise, you'll get the feedback from the community that will help you to learn and help the original poster to solve their problem. Win-Win!

No amount of belief makes something a fact. -James Randi
Go to Top of Page

fai
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-16 : 08:54:33
Bustaz,

thanks for the reply, since I am very new to all this I am finding it difficult. when you talk about the books online can you tell me specifically which one???? do you have any links for that? you can paste the URL here.

yes, GUI is easier but in the real world the clients would never use GUI like oracle it should be command line, and the problem is when you get used to GUI command line looks difficult to work with.

but in any case I have to learn, so if you have any links for that
please share.

thanks
Go to Top of Page

mandm
Posting Yak Master

120 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-17 : 09:11:36
Bustaz Kool is referring to the Books Online that comes with SQL Server. It should be an option in the Start Menu under SQL server. If you're unsure on how to script a command you could start by doing it in SSMS then use the generate script option to show you what the actual command looks like.
Go to Top of Page

fai
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-17 : 11:36:40
ohhh thank you, I thought there should be a weblink for that where they sell books online, I had previously downloaded CBT nuggets for oracle, they were real good and easy to understand.
I wish I could get something like that for sql server as well.
thanks
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -