Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Development Tools
 Other Development Tools
 Logging System or Survery

Author  Topic 

Villanuev
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-28 : 03:58:37
Hi,
I was instructed to develop a simple online or web based logging system of my department. the purpose of the logging system is to monitor and evaluate the performance of my department or by individual in the team by other department head. They can access the logging system and put a grade that the report was sent to them (other group) are on time or had a problems like the data i not accurate or the report has a problem.

May I ask your help or any idea on what particular application language sould i consider for this project. thank you in advance.

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-28 : 09:45:15
What are you running at your shop? Linux? OS/X, Windows? What does your shop use for web development? PHP? ASP.NET? Ruby? What development tools do you use? Visual Studio? Eclipse? What languages do your colleagues use? F#? C?, C++?, C#, VB, Java, Python?

If it were me, I'd use the languages and platforms used by most people at my shop so that after I'm gone, there will be people who can support my app.
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-28 : 19:38:21
Hi gbritton,

Actually we have a separate unit or group that handle all IT activities from hardware to software and development.
They are using windows and the web development available is ASP.NET. Yes, development s toll available is Visual Studio.
The language they use is VB but if iwere I would be to use VB or C# which is available in visual studio that installed in my laptop.

I'm new to C# and VB i have a little background which i think there is a similar codes like VB6.

Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-30 : 03:37:30
Hi,

Can you please share tutorial for visual Basic VB.NET web application. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-30 : 09:12:09
"The language they use is VB"

So should you.
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-11 : 02:44:59
Follow up question. Can I use MS access as database for VB.net and MS Access database for ASP.NET? or MySQL database for ASP.NET? Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-11 : 07:06:41
Ms access doesn't scale very far. Forget it. Mysql is a viable choice, provided it is a standard at your shop
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-17 : 05:00:49
Thank you gbritton, Btw, I tried to browse mySQL and i notice there's a lot of types of mySQL. what would be type /kind of mySQL should I download to bw use in vb.net as my databaase. thank you.
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-17 : 07:16:13
Not sure what you mean. Data types? Use whatever matches your data
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-17 : 19:46:16
HI gbritton, the available in our shop is MS SQL express but the problem is when i tried to create a database and table i dont have the permission. tha's why i would prefer the the mySQL. do you have the link to download free mySQL? thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-18 : 09:02:19
quote:
Originally posted by Villanuev

HI gbritton, the available in our shop is MS SQL express but the problem is when i tried to create a database and table i dont have the permission. tha's why i would prefer the the mySQL. do you have the link to download free mySQL? thanks.

This makes no sense. SQL Express is installed locally (that is on your machine). So, you have full sysadmin rights to your database.

I would advise against using a RDBMS that is not a standard in your shop. If you do, what happens when you get that dream offer and change companies? The mysql app you are developing will be an on-going problem for maitenance and development, since it is not a standard.
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-19 : 20:19:11
I check the installed SQL in my machine, in properties under Permission, the permission under Connect SQL, it was grant as "sa". I think i was granted as users only.
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-20 : 09:32:25
Well ask your admins for help then. There's no point in having SQL Express installed on your machine without the ability to create databases. You might need to have local admin privs on your machine
Go to Top of Page

Villanuev

478 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-22 : 19:20:10
Ok. thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

pantsbox
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-11 : 08:51:14
quote:
Originally posted by gbritton

Well ask your admins for help then. There's no point in having SQL Express installed on your machine without the ability to create databases. You might need to have local admin privs on your machine

Agree, you better ask your admins.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -