Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 HELP! - Corrupt BAK file - What are my options?

Author  Topic 

kleinmi
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 15:55:04
Hey guys,

I am getting an inconsistency error when I try to restore one of my SQL server back ups.

I know there are some applications that can generate SQL scripts from the bak file.. but are atleast $500.00

do you guys know what I can use to read the file?

Any help would be GREAT!

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 16:03:07
I don't know of any tools that can read the bak file. The tool that you mentioned for 500 bucks is probably Log Explorer by Lumigent, but it reads the transaction log and not the bak file. If your backup is corrupt, then you will need to go to the next newest backup file. Hopefully you have transaction log backups so that you can then restore the logs on top of this other backup and not lose so much data. Have you tried restoring the next newest backup yet? Do you have transaction log backups?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 16:26:42
What's the excact error you're getting, and when was the last time you restored a back up?

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

kleinmi
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 17:02:56
I have restored several databases on this server (drive failure).

They all worked except for about 4 databases.

The error I get is:

"An internal consistency error occurred. Contact Technical Support for assistance. RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally."

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 17:08:30
Your database backup file is bad. You will not be able to use it. You will need to get an older backup from tape (assuming that's where you put the older backups). If you have transaction log backups, you might not lose that much data. Do you have transaction log backups? Do you have an older database backup file or just the one that is bad?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Stoad
Freaky Yak Linguist

1983 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 17:10:22
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=ONw55ancCHA.2424%40tkmsftngp09

- Vit
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 17:12:54
quote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=ONw55ancCHA.2424%40tkmsftngp09

- Vit

Well that's assuming that kleinmi has the MDF file though. I wouldn't do what the article is suggesting though. So if you have the MDF file, you can simply run sp_attach_single_file_db. Please see SQL Server Books Online for the specifics.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

kleinmi
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 17:23:30
i do not have a transaction log back up. the last 3 back ups all give the same error.

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 17:27:31
The job that runs the backups should have showed failure if the file was inconsistent. I have received this error numerous times in our development environment. I believe that the problem has to do with NetBackup, at least in my case. I always had to delete the file and then run the backup. But the point is that your job should have showed failure. So check the job history and find out when the last successful backup was and then restore that file.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 17:29:38
Do you have the MDF file? If so, you may still be in luck. See sp_attach_single_file_db in BOL.

If none of these options work, then you most likely have lost the database. At this point, I would contact MS to see if there is anything that can be done. I am sure that it would be costly though.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-21 : 18:27:46
It doesn't help now but

"Your data is only as secure as your last restored backup".

i.e. you can never tell whether a backup is good without restoring it which is why in a production system you need to run test restores as part of the backjup strategy to make sure that all your backups are not worthless.
Surprising how may companies assume that just because a 3rd party backup utility says it is successful that they have a restorable backup.

I'm afraid if oyu don't have a good backup nor an mdf that you are stuck.
You can send the backup to microsoft and ask them to see what they can recover but I don't know how much that will cost.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-22 : 09:30:14
I did not know that...thanks Nigel...

I guess just having my contigency box (and restore logs and dumps) had added benefits I knew nothing about..

I guess with out a disaster box, creating a diff database or in another instance should be a matter of fact for a backup strategy.

Why isn't that outlined in any book I've read I wonder?

esp admin 911 (or did I miss that chapter?)

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

prett
Posting Yak Master

212 Posts

Posted - 2015-07-08 : 02:45:03
I know this thread is very old and my reply is no any relation with kleinmi because he has already left the thread but still I would like to help new users who are searching SQL backup recovery tool to restore database from corrupt SQL backup and reached this thread by any reference.

Recently I heart about Stellar SQL backup recovery tool in DBA meetup that claims it can repair corrupt SQL backup file without any modification. I have not tested this tool yet because don't have corrupt file.

If anyone facing SQL backup corruption issue then can give a try to this tool.

http://www.stellarinfo.com/database-recovery/sql-backup.php
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -