Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Anyone read books?

Author  Topic 

clarkbaker1964
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

428 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 00:04:28
Is this worth killing a tree over? How about for 50.00?
Microsoft(r) SQL Server(tm) 2000 Reference Library

Has anyone read:
Joe Celko's SQL Puzzles and Answers

Some of the topics look interesting but does it address common query questions like
Second set of 10 out of the top 100? You know those irritating business analyst questions that come from marketing people?

Pace

264 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 04:45:54
luckily work pay for my books, ive read sql server 2000 administrtion and database design and implementation, the latter was much better but to be honest I find the best juicy bits are on here and in books online. I think ms should get an award for that, by far the best ms product
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 06:45:47
I did get Joe's Puzzle book, it was OK but I didn't quite feel it was worth the money (more likely the publisher's fault than Joe's). SQL For Smarties definitely WAS worth the money. And of course there are Ken Henderson's Guru Guides which are indispensible. I don't know about the MS Reference Library, but you definitely can't go wrong with Joe or Ken.

IMHO you will get the most out of a book if you DO NOT read it looking for a particular answer, because if you don't find it you'll be disappointed. Most SQL books are not structured as "cookbooks" anyway. Just read them for general knowledge and education, and then apply what you learn to your work. I've always gotten something out of the aforementioned books by doing this.
Go to Top of Page

Amethystium
Aged Yak Warrior

701 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 07:31:43
quote:

Just read them for general knowledge and education, and then apply what you learn to your work. I've always gotten something out of the aforementioned books by doing this.

I second that. I have Robert Vieira's SQL Server 2000 Programming and I usually pick a chapter and go through it but not looking for anything specific. I've learnt so much just by doing that. It is a good way to expand your knowledge and of course reading experts answers here as well!

------------->>> BREAKING NEWS!!! <<<-------------
Saddam Hussien has weapons of mass destrcution
Go to Top of Page

clarkbaker1964

428 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 12:18:06
I hear what your saying and the posts are definately worth more than a book... It would be nice to see a compilation of the articles maybe even a question answer type.

I like many of you do see repetitive questions in the form, but I just don't want another book where the meat starts at page 832.

Someone has got to talk to the publishers about reinventing the format of books.

I would rather see a chapter title "How to write queries that will make your sales team happy!"
and explore the complex queries rather than talk about the difference between inner and left outer joins.

Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 13:36:10
I've got SQL For Smarties, opened it like 3 times don't really like it. If anyone wants it brand spanking new ... shipped let me know
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 13:42:12
quote:
Originally posted by jhermiz

I've got SQL For Smarties, opened it like 3 times don't really like it. If anyone wants it brand spanking new ... shipped let me know

That's a great book...why don't you like it?

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 13:47:45
quote:
Originally posted by X002548

quote:
Originally posted by jhermiz

That's a great book...why don't you like it?

Brett

8-)

Information mainly on trees, half that stuff I found online anyhow, in fact he posted a majority of that stuff (especially on trees) in various forums. Felt really great when I bought it only to find the exact same code.

Want it ?
Go to Top of Page

clarkbaker1964

428 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-16 : 16:26:18
I would like to give it a go... If I don't like it I'll make the same offer to someone else. We also have a lot of student workers in our shop it may prove useful.

Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-17 : 04:09:11
Isn't Microsoft(r) SQL Server(tm) 2000 Reference Library essentially a printed version of BOL i.e. easier to read in the bath or better for holding doors open and such like.

Oh, and a bit harder to find what you are looking for!

Steve

To alcohol ! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems
Go to Top of Page

clarkbaker1964

428 Posts

Posted - 2004-12-17 : 13:34:58
DOOR STOP! Great Idea for my office!

Go to Top of Page

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts