Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Tricks and Tips

Author  Topic 

elwoos
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 07:58:02
A place I used to work had a running gag where if you went on leave you would come back to find something 'strange' had happened to your computer.

One new guy decided he could get around this by taking his hard drive out. Needless to say it took him a good few days to get his machine working when he got back.

Have also tried changing and renaming the icons though it takes a while.

On a MAC it is possible to hide the waste bin (you used to need it to eject a disc) which was also quite entertaining

Anyone else have any other tricks and tips (Can you tell it's Friday afternoon here!!)

steve

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 08:13:11
take a printscreen of your desktop.
add it as the background pic.
delete all icons from desktop.
set taskbar to hide.

take the machine with you.

bolt the casing down.

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 08:17:53
One of my favorites from high school (20+ years ago) was our computer science teacher insisting he had to use the good Apple II computer...64K RAM, color graphics, color monitor. We were forbidden to use it...so we decided to pop the RAM chips out of it. He spent a good day or two trying to figure out why it wouldn't work, then finally swapped it with one of the lowly 8K monochrome Apples (cursing and grumbling the whole time) Of course when he put the good one off in a corner we put the RAM back in and fired it up.

Yeah, it's a lame story, but popping RAM out is still a good way to bring a computer to a halt. Problem is the damn BIOS messages will probably tell you exactly what's wrong these days.

(P.S. - our teacher found out we got the computer working again and took it back. I think he figured out the RAM situation, so next time we popped off the main fuse on the motherboard. You'd be surprised how entertaining it is to watch a teacher curse an Apple II computer)
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 09:47:01
Spirit, must admit I have thought of your first one before but never got around to doing it. You can also do the same with a login screen though Microsoft have spoiled that one a bit with the CTRL + ALT + DEL malarkey. You can have some fun with the mouse and keyboard settings too OR wire the sound up to someone else's computer

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain.
Go to Top of Page

JimL
SQL Slinging Yak Ranger

1537 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 15:27:32
Note only do this to someone with a strong heart and you may have to replace the power supply after ward.

1. Power down computer at the power switch or unplug.
Disconect all power leads from the drives.

2. Take a 100 ufd dialectric capacitor and double fold the wire leads.
3. push the leads into the 12V socket from the power supply reversing the polarity.

4. leave the power sitch off or unplugged.

The idividual sould figure out that the power switch is off and flick it on. The result will sound like a gun shot.

Yes I hated the idividual I came up with this for.

Jim
Users <> Logic
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 16:23:51
I usually turn their speakers up to the max, and then send them an e-mail so that I can hear the world's loudest DING! noise.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 17:24:55
One more
Taking out people's mouse balls and hiding them, or just putting tape over the hole where the balls goes.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 17:43:14
ok with what kind of people do you folks work with???
i never wanted to anything even remotly similar to this to anyone.

Go with the flow & have fun! Else fight the flow
Go to Top of Page

rockmoose
SQL Natt Alfen

3279 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-18 : 17:44:00
schedule this on the victims computer:
' CDEject.vbs, Version 1.00
' Eject all CDROMs
'
' Needs Windows Media Player installed
'
' Script posted by Christoph Fricke on the
' microsoft.public.de.german.scripting.wsh
' newsgroup

Set oWMP = CreateObject("WMPlayer.OCX.7")
Set colCDROMs = oWMP.cdromCollection

if colCDROMs.Count >= 1 then
For i = 0 to colCDROMs.Count - 1
colCDROMs.Item(i).Eject
Next ' cdrom
End If

edit:
Set oWMP = Nothing
rockmoose
Go to Top of Page

eyechart

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-19 : 04:26:58
set their home page to www.tubg...

nevermind...

-ec
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-19 : 05:32:41
We had a client whos IT department had enormous problems with Windows 95 on their network, when it first came out. Back then large corporates had IT policy best described as "anarchy". Many of their users had Win95 at home and they started bringing their copies in and installing them on their Work PCs. This caused so much havoc on the corporate LAN that it was made into a Gross Misconduct offense (don't know if that translates - it means you can be fired on the spot). Anyway, my client asked me for a Win3.1 screen saver image depicting Win95 desktop so that IT would do their nut when they saw the PC!

Once upon a time I changed the AUTOEXEC.BAT (rememeber those?!) for the head of department for a client (old chap, never quite got the hang of computers - "It says 'OK to continue [Y/N]?' - Of COURSE I want to continue" Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Hehehehe!)

I put a "Water deteced on Drive A" program on his drive, changed the AUTOEXEC.BAT to run it on 1st April, and then re-instate a clean AUTOEXEC.BAT and delete the EXE.

So ... on 1st April he calls IT support:

User: My computer said I had water on drive A
IT: Really?
User: Yup, but I think its OK, it then said it was doing a spin-dry cycle
IT: Did you try rebbooting?
User: Yup, it didn't do it again ...

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-19 : 08:30:01
I like your style Jim, those caps make a very satisfying noise

I used to freak out our (MCSE) network guy at a company I worked at. I'd use xp_CmdShell on the database server to send him NET SEND messages saying stuff like "Critical Hardware Failure" and watch him run for the server room.

We wasted half another guys day by sending him NET SEND messages in a loop, 100 at a time

Damian
Go to Top of Page

TG

6065 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-19 : 10:45:11
Ahh yes...the system messages are a classic. When a new operations guy would start, I would begin by sending realistic system warnings, then critical failure messages, and finally something like "Catastrophic system failure is imminent. Leave the building immediately!" I love to see it as realization finally sinks in.

Before the 'computer practical joke' war starts to escalate, one of favorites to get things going is to change the mouse orientation slightly. The "user" looks like they are failing a sobriety test when they try to use the mouse (complete with "body english" to try and help alter the direction of the cursor).

Be One with the Optimizer
TG
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-19 : 10:58:14
A RightHanded Colleague of mine used to set his mouse to LeftHanded, which he had learnt to use with his right hand, so that when people came to use his workstation when he was out they soon gave up.

Then there was the ANSIART that you could do on BBS's in the old days. Full screen, no border. Great for a BSOD - had people rebooting their computers without questioning that it was a fake screen!

And "This message contains a hidden game. Press the appropriate Control-Alt key combinations to start the game" So people held down Control and Alt and then worked along the keyboard trying Q, W, E,R, T, Y, ... DELETE <g> Modern windows is no fun with its "Do you want to ..." confirmation dialog boxes :-(

Kristen
Go to Top of Page

Andraax
Aged Yak Warrior

790 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-19 : 15:53:07
This screensaver is a great thing to use on your colleagues :)

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/bluescreensaver.shtml

It simulates BSOD with reboots and everything...
Go to Top of Page

elwoos

2052 Posts

Posted - 2005-02-21 : 07:04:25
Some friends of mine setup some speakers under a colleagues desk with a voice filter to make it sound quite deep and added echo. They were hooked up to a mic at the other end of the room. Every now and again you would hear things like "MAKE TEA" etc. The guy they did it to never seemed to even notice that it was happening which made it even funnier.

Their boss had a sort of sub office and one day he called one of them in to tell him off, while this was happening they were mooning at the guy that was being told off through the window. He started laughing which infuriated the boss even more.

Anyone ever tried changing the keyboard settings? You can have fun with the Dvorak layout

steve

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -