Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 MSDE SP3- can't create maintenance plan

Author  Topic 

AndyThissen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-25 : 17:54:02
Please can someone at least explain why I can't use the Database
Maintenance Plan Wizard in SQL Enterprise Manager SP3 to create a
maintenance plan on a default instance of MSDE 2000 SP3?

Specifically, on the database backup page:

* the location selection is not remembered
* the default file extension is blank, not ".BAK"
* there are no units of time in the retention period pull-down
listbox, where there should be Minute(s), Hour(s), Day(s), Week(s),
Month(s)

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-25 : 21:02:20
sqlmaint.exe was missing from MSDE 2000, but that was fixed in SP1 I think. Since this is SP3 you probably have a missing registry value for the backup directory.

I had to fix a similar problem last year on a bunch of laptops. They were all missing a registry value. Anyway, here is the fix:

1. Fire up regedit and look under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer
2. Ensure you have a string value called BackupDirectory. The value for this should be the path to your backup dir. The default value is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP

btw, this fix assumes you have a default instance installed. A named instance will have slightly different registry location and filesystem path.

-ec
Go to Top of Page

AndyThissen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2005-03-28 : 09:13:07
Thanks, That was exactly it. I can't believe there was no KB article on this because I seemed to have no problem duplicating the issue.

Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page

tazigdad
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-10-29 : 12:14:10
Thank you for posting this it works like a charm. Also Kudos to you for such great instructions.

quote:
Originally posted by eyechart

sqlmaint.exe was missing from MSDE 2000, but that was fixed in SP1 I think. Since this is SP3 you probably have a missing registry value for the backup directory.

I had to fix a similar problem last year on a bunch of laptops. They were all missing a registry value. Anyway, here is the fix:

1. Fire up regedit and look under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer
2. Ensure you have a string value called BackupDirectory. The value for this should be the path to your backup dir. The default value is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP

btw, this fix assumes you have a default instance installed. A named instance will have slightly different registry location and filesystem path.

-ec

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -