Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 How to license SQL 2000 Cluster Setup

Author  Topic 

yukondba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 16:10:55
Hello, everyone.

Do you have to license SQL 2000 Server cluster nodes by per processor or per user?
If the SQL 2000 nodes are licensed by processor, do you still have to get the SQL CALs?

Thanks alot.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 16:13:47
It being on a cluster doesn't impact the licenses. What is impacted is whether or not you'll be running active/active or active/passive.

Purchasing per processor licenses depends on your user environment. If the user environment is the Internet and it's unknown who those users are, then you must use per processor. If they are on the Internet, but you know exactly who is going to be connecting, then you can get away with a server license plus cals. If it's not on the Internet, then you can use server license plus cals. At some point, it's more cost effective to get per processor license, but that depends on the number of users and the edition of SQL Server. Also, if you purchase the per processor license, then you do not need to purchase cals. Check out microsoft.com/sql for more information on the licensing as might be unclear here or may have a mistake (MS' site will have the definitive answer).

Tara
Go to Top of Page

yukondba
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2005-07-27 : 16:27:11
Thank you, Tara, for your quick reply.

You just confirmed my understanding of SQL licensing structure.
I had the question b/c a sales rep from a big computer company insisted that I had to license the SQL Servers by processor if I need to cluster them. I was not sure if he was right. What I suspected was that he tried to sell me the licenses by processor so he could get a bigger commission pie.
Anyhow, I enjoy reading your SQL blog.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -