Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: An Introduction to Triggers -- Part II

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2001-11-04 : 17:31:24
A few months ago I wrote an article for SQLTeam called An Introduction to Triggers -- Part I. The article covered trigger fundamentals--the most important being the way the inserted and deleted virtual tables work. I also showed an example of how to use an INSERT trigger to log activity on a web site.

In this article I want to show how to use a UPDATE and DELETE trigger and introduce INSTEAD OF triggers. If you are not familiar with the inserted and deleted tables please read this article before continuing.

Article Link.

TheMadProfessor
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2010-04-16 : 13:36:31
Nice discussion...only quibble I have is in the NOT EXISTS query in the UPDATE trigger - is this really necessary? Since you have to examine the entire table anyway to determine NOT EXISTS, why not just do the COUNT(*)? Then determine by the value whether any action is required - if >0, do the message; otherwise do nothing.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have to have a frontal lobotomy...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -