Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Poll Discussion
 Poll: Do you have a PocketPC?

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-05 : 18:20:26
This thread goes with the poll Do you have a PocketPC?.

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-05 : 19:26:14
I just bought one a few weeks back. The Toshiba e310. It replaced my old Palm III. So far I'm loving it. It syncs flawlessly with Outlook, and even better, it will do it via my laptop's infra red port.

There isn't a WiFi card for it yet, only bluetooth. This model is the thinnest, lightest pocket pc so it doesn't have the expandability of the larger Toshibas, but I hear there is an SD slot 802.11b card in the works.

I've got myself a copy of embedded visuall tools and SQL Server CE now, so I plan to start writing some apps for it real soon now.

Damian

Edit : Arrggghh Snitz mangled the link and turned it into a mailto. Should be fixed now.

P.S. The toshiba is really cheap, I think around US$400

Edited by - Merkin on 08/06/2002 20:19:08
Go to Top of Page

KHeon
Posting Yak Master

135 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-06 : 11:55:53
Not yet, but I had the luxury of playing with an iPAQ recently and was blown away. I've been anti-CE since I bought my Palm IIIx a few years back. I now have a Kyocera SmartPhone with built-in Palm Vx and love having them integrated, it's nice to carry one device and be 100% connected.

However, I have a need to develop some handheld apps and doing that for the Palm OS proved to be much more cumbersome then I had hoped, with the PocketPC I've got SQL Server CE (woohoo) that I can use to store my data in a relational format (as opposed to Palm's file-per-table database structure).

Problem is the iPAQ's are expensive. I like the top of the line (400mhz w/64mb RAM) but it's as costly as a cheap computer ($750). I'd settle for the 200mhz one but I'm only saving about $100.

The screen seemed bigger, brighter, and much easier to use, not to mention in brilliant color (not that Palm doesn't offer the same). Integration is a key feature, as the apps I want to write will need to sync data with a desktop/server side database (ie: Access or SQL Server). I think my development options are way more open with a PocketPC.

...now if I can just get my company to buy me one. :)

Kyle Heon
PixelMEDIA, Inc.
Senior Application Programmer, MCP
kheon@pixelmedia.com
Go to Top of Page

yakoo
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

312 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-06 : 14:23:53
I don't own one myself...yet. I have looked around and I do like the iPaq but and wary to buy the high end one. A coworker of mine has the HP Jornada and he loves it. Since im starting work on our Pocket PC website, maybe the company can foot the bill for the iPaq

Got SQL?
Go to Top of Page

KHeon
Posting Yak Master

135 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-07 : 07:07:00
quote:

Since im starting work on our Pocket PC website, maybe the company can foot the bill for the iPaq

My thoughts exactly.

Kyle Heon
PixelMEDIA, Inc.
Senior Application Programmer, MCP
kheon@pixelmedia.com
Go to Top of Page

ubiquitous
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2002-09-03 : 12:42:36
I don't have one but If I where to get one I'd get the POGO comming out. If you haven'd seen this you should check it out. THe web address is [url]http://www.pogo-tech.com/[/url] you can download "real" web pages none of this wap stuff

Phil.
Go to Top of Page

HumanCompiler
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-11 : 20:36:07
I think I'll wait for the TabletPC's to get lighter and cheaper...ditch my laptop (and not need to buy a PocketPC) and I'll be set

-Erik
Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-12 : 10:08:35
Depends what you need I guess. You are not going to fit a tablet PC in your jacket Pocket like I can with a Palm or my Toshiba. When I need something with more features to do serious work, I take my laptop.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

KnooKie
Aged Yak Warrior

623 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-12 : 10:38:22
No i do not have a pocket PC, I have a life :)

===========
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-12 : 10:46:19
HAHAHA

Hmm I know where you are coming from, if you look at the hardcore PocketPC geeks on some of the forums around it is a little scary.

But I find it great for keeping contacts and schedule in sync with outlook.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-12 : 12:49:32
I don't have a pocket pc but still don't have a life.
Am I doing something wrong?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Andraax
Aged Yak Warrior

790 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-12 : 16:13:53
I have an iPaq... Don't use it much though, but it's cool to remote control servers from the train, tried that once or twice. Cool but slow

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -