Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 High Availability (2008)
 log shipping

Author  Topic 

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-18 : 08:47:04
can we perform log shipping at the database level?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Trainee SQL Server Database Administrator
Miracle Software systems ,Inc.

djj55
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-18 : 09:46:41
Log shipping is done on the database. The database cannot be in simple recovery mode. For log shipping, table by table is not possible.

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-18 : 10:05:23
quote:
Originally posted by djj55

Log shipping is done on the database. The database cannot be in simple recovery mode. For log shipping, table by table is not possible.

djj

When i read the differences between log shipping and the database mirroring,it was mentioned that database mirroring can only be performed at the database level. And nothing mentioned with log shipping.

my assumption is correct or not?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-18 : 10:06:44
quote:

djj

When i read the differences between log shipping and the database mirroring,it was mentioned that database mirroring can only be performed at the database level. And nothing mentioned with log shipping.

my assumption is correct or not?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

djj55

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-18 : 10:23:52
Sorry I do not have mirroring experiance. Log shipping is done at the instance level for databases. When you setup log shipping it creates jobs that do transaction log copy and restores on a database.

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-10-18 : 10:39:34
quote:

Sorry I do not have mirroring experiance. Log shipping is done at the instance level for databases. When you setup log shipping it creates jobs that do transaction log copy and restores on a database.

djj

Yes that's what i mean.i got my issue confirmed.
Thank you sir.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-02 : 13:01:55
Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..
Cant we take log backups of only few databases from the principle server and restore them on secondary?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
BTECH-IT 2013 Passed Out,
Trainee for SQL Server Administration,
Miracle Software systems, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-02 : 13:51:34
quote:
Originally posted by sgondesi

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..
Cant we take log backups of only few databases from the principle server and restore them on secondary?

Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 04:05:58
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

quote:

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..

Yes you can. Any log backups you take on the primary database that is outside of the LS log backup job must be manually applied to the secondary database with the proper mode (such as NO RECOVERY).

And to answer your original question, both log shipping and database mirroring are done at the database level.

Tara Kizer

What do you mean by LS log backup here?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

djj55

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 07:28:01
If you have multiple databases in an SQL Server instance and only some are in Log Shipping the ones that are not in Log shipping can have a manual transaction log backup that is then restored as Tara indicated.

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 07:59:25
quote:

If you have multiple databases in an SQL Server instance and only some are in Log Shipping the ones that are not in Log shipping can have a manual transaction log backup that is then restored as Tara indicated.

djj

Sorry sir, i dont know what a "tara indicated" is?

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

djj55

352 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 09:23:27
Tara is user tkizer.
quote:

Tara Kizer

djj
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 10:14:27
quote:

Tara is user tkizer.
quote:

Tara Kizer

djj

oh..sorry i dont know that..!

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 12:04:41
quote:

djj

Thanks for the response.
I understood what you have told. I will get back to you sir.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 12:28:13
quote:

djj

This is not what I meant. You CAN perform tlog backups on a log shipped database outside of the log shipping plan, you just have to manually apply (restore) them to the secondary server.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-03 : 12:30:30
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..

Tara Kizer

When you setup log shipping through a maintenance plan, it creates SQL Agent jobs. When I am referring to the LS log backup, I mean the SQL Agent job for the log shipping plan that handles the BACKUP LOG commands. You can run this job to create additional log backups, or you can manually run BACKLOG LOG. If you run the job, the log shipping plan will copy those files and apply them to the secondary server. No matter how many times you start the job, the log shipping plan takes care of the rest. But if you manually run BACKUP LOG command, YOU have to manually copy the files and manually restore them WITH NORECOVERY in order to not break log shipping.

Tara Kizer
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-04 : 04:04:12
quote:

quote:

djj

This is not what I meant. You CAN perform tlog backups on a log shipped database outside of the log shipping plan, you just have to manually apply (restore) them to the secondary server.

Tara Kizer

I have understood this madam.
Thanks a lot for the response.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

sgondesi
Posting Yak Master

200 Posts

Posted - 2013-12-04 : 04:12:25
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hai everyone..
Having a doubt..

Tara Kizer

When you setup log shipping through a maintenance plan, it creates SQL Agent jobs. When I am referring to the LS log backup, I mean the SQL Agent job for the log shipping plan that handles the BACKUP LOG commands. You can run this job to create additional log backups, or you can manually run BACKLOG LOG. If you run the job, the log shipping plan will copy those files and apply them to the secondary server. No matter how many times you start the job, the log shipping plan takes care of the rest. But if you manually run BACKUP LOG command, YOU have to manually copy the files and manually restore them WITH NORECOVERY in order to not break log shipping.

Tara Kizer

I got your point clearly.
Thank you so much for the detailed response and your support.

--
Thanks and Regards
Srikar Reddy Gondesi,
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -