Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Replication (2012)
 Replication fails: User-DB had been Distr.-DB

Author  Topic 

dhs
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-03-14 : 10:07:23
When setting up replication on an SQL-Server 2012 we accidentally set the name for the distribution-db to the name of one of our user-db's.

The user-db had all the distribution objects in it and showed under "system databases" in ssms. After we realized this, we removed all replication and distribution on the server; our database showed outside system again, and we removed all distribution objects from it.

We then proceeded to set up distribution again, this time using the name "distribution09" for our distribution-db. All went well - however when trying to set up replication on the mentioned user-db, it fails:

"Meldung 208, Ebene 16, Status 1, Prozedur syssubscriptions, Zeile 1
Ungültiger Objektname 'dbo.IHsubscriptions'."

It is possible to create the table 'IHsubscriptions' in our user-db; after that setting up replication will fail on the NEXT needed object. Therefore, it seems the server is still trying to use our user-db as the distribution-db.

Using the following commands shows the correct 'distribution09' in all the right places as the current distribution-db:

EXEC sp_get_distributor
SELECT is_distributor FROM sys.servers WHERE name='repl_distributor' AND data_source=@@servername;
SELECT name FROM sys.databases WHERE is_distributor = 1
EXEC sp_helpdistributor;
EXEC sp_helpdistributiondb;
EXEC sp_helpdistpublisher;

Any idea, how this can be fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Dirk

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-03-14 : 12:04:15
I think you'll need to open a case with Microsoft. If it were me, that's what I would do. If you don't have a support contract with them, I would probably restore the system databases. If that's not possible, I would probably be reinstalling the instance.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -