Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 Report drop SQL service

Author  Topic 

alejandrozb
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-13 : 15:39:13
I'll apreciate any help you can give.
This is my headache:
I've developed a report that used two complex SP. In developing mode (Visual Studio 2008) runs ok, about 45 seg but when I deploy to the server and try it after few seconds my SQL Server and SQL server agent service goes down.
The only error message I get is that the reporting service is unable open a conexion to the Reporting service Database, obiously because for some reason the sql server service had gone down..

Alejandro ZB

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-13 : 16:00:21
Check the SQL Server Error Log and Application Log in Event Viewer to determine what happened. You might see an access violation/memory dump/similar. If you do, you'll want to check your build version as these are often times bugs in the database engine. Install the latest service pack AND cumulative update package. If you are using SQL Server 2008 R2, you can install service pack 3 which was just recently released and contains all hotfixes.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-14 : 09:15:12
FWIW, it is NOT obvious that the "sql server service had gone down". It is just as likely that the connection string you are using is incorrect.
Go to Top of Page

alejandrozb
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-14 : 10:53:15
Tara thank you, I'll try apply the SP.

Alejandro ZB
Go to Top of Page

alejandrozb
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-14 : 11:07:28
gbritton, Thanks for your response.
Maybe I was not clear enough, I'll try again: when I run the report from the reporting service web page, the sql service goes down, I mean the all SQL server stop working. Just in case I've already test the conexion before, I do have more than 350 reports runing ok with the same connection.
Tara: The only message I get on Event Viewer is "Report Server (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database."
I'm going crazy, please help!!!

Alejandro ZB
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-14 : 12:09:28
quote:
Originally posted by alejandrozb

gbritton, Thanks for your response.
Maybe I was not clear enough, I'll try again: when I run the report from the reporting service web page, the sql service goes down, I mean the all SQL server stop working. Just in case I've already test the conexion before, I do have more than 350 reports runing ok with the same connection.
Tara: The only message I get on Event Viewer is "Report Server (MSSQLSERVER) cannot connect to the report server database."
I'm going crazy, please help!!!

I'm confused now. Given your last reply, the SQL Server did NOT go down. Please check the services, error log, application log on the database server itself and NOT on the report server.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -