Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Should I split this into 2 databases?

Author  Topic 

Goalie35
Yak Posting Veteran

81 Posts

Posted - 2015-01-30 : 17:02:14
I'm doing some work for a small business & I'm looking for your opinions on the cleanest way to setup their system.

They have 2 websites. One main internet website & one intranet. Each site has a separate database
Their intranet
--------------------------
Database contains a lot of tables related to personal business stuff, including tables for client information.

Their internet
--------------------------
Their company website includes a members (client) area. From here, client's can edit their client info among other things. The database contains all website related tables, including website account information (with a foreign key to client info from the intranet database).

So currently, there's a lot of cross referencing going on. The website needs to reach into the intranet's database when a client wants to change client info. And the intranet site needs to reach into the website database from time to time for certain info as well.

Here's the problem. The website database is hosted on a 3rd party server. 99.9% uptime. Great! The intranet however, is hosted on an internal server & goes down occasionally (a few times a month).

How would you recommend proceeding? Should I merge these 2 databases into a single large db? Should I keep them separate but have them both hosted by a 3rd party host? I know it's a matter of preference but just looking for opinions on what you feel is the cleanest approach.

Thanks

- Advertisement -