Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Publish of data from Batch to WEB SQL server

Author  Topic 

Mielie
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 02:03:28
Morning,

We are running SQL 2008 R2 and I have a question about publishing of data.
We have a batch server which run daily transforms and after the transforms have completed we need to publish this data to the WEB SQL servers. Currently we use snapping and cloning of the LUN's the SQL databases are on to get it from the one server to the other. This database is about 400GB in size and this cloning process takes about 1.5h to complete.

We need to find another way of getting this data to the web sql servers. How do you people out there do this?

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 03:31:22
try snapshot replication
Go to Top of Page

Mielie
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 03:52:33
The way it currently works is , we have 2 databases on the WEB sql box. One live database and 1 offline database. These database names is different with an X and Y suffix. So X is now active and after the transforms ran on the batch box we will publish Y to the web sql box and swop the databases around. So now Y is active and X is offline. This publishing process needs to be as quick as possible. We use Merge replication as well as transactional replication and the thing with replication is it takes quite some time to replicate the data on our other databases where we use replication. The one table that contains all the history data has about 280million rows and is about 180 GB in size. I have not yet worked with snapshot replication, how fast is snapshot replication?
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 03:58:35
Confused. First you said you were cloning I the San now you say its replication. What's the whole picture?
Go to Top of Page

Mielie
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 04:01:48
Sorry for the confusion, We use cloning for the large database but for other smaller databases we use replication. The cloning of the large database is the problem and we need to find another way of getting the data across. Does this makes sense?
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 04:15:30
OK so instead of cloning the whole thing every time can you just replicate the changed tables or partitions?
Go to Top of Page

Mielie
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 04:20:29
On the batch server when transforms run it changes a lot of data every time. We have about 6 transforms running during the night and our cloning normally starts at 05:00 in the morning and website must be updated at 06:30 latest. So to replicate all that changed data across will take some time. I don't think replication will work for us due to my experience working with the current replication in our environment. Replication is slow......
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 05:27:42
Well then it sounds like you're hitting hardware limits.
Go to Top of Page

Mielie
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 05:36:49
What is the biggest table\ Database you replicate? And which replication do you use? Will be interesting to know?
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-26 : 12:28:29
We used transactional replication for a database that was half a terabyte. All of the big tables were replicated and most of the medium/small tables were too. It was a high transaction environment. When I opened a case with Microsoft a while back, the engineer indicated he'd never seen such a busy replication.

So if you are having performance issues with replication, I'd be looking at your hardware as gbritton mentioned, plus your replication architecture. Is the distributor on a separate box? How much retention in the distribution database? Is the cleanup job keeping up (ours wasn't, so we had to upgrade the hardware)? ETc.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -