Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 Reporting services issues (multiple)

Author  Topic 

dlhall
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-16 : 11:14:57
OK, I have been looking at this for 5 days now, and cannot seem to get a handle on it. Here's the scenario:
I have a SQL 2008R2 database server and report server on the same Windows 2008R2 computer. Over the last year, this has run with no issues, but suddenly I cannot run any reports from this server nor can I access the reports manager URL from a remote PC using http://servername.domain/reports. I can access the report manager from the server console, but only with domain administrator credentials. I keep getting prompted for a login name, and finally the blank screen, as many have reported. Having gone through all the past reports of this issue, I cannot see what makes mine any different than before. However, in the reportservice logs, it is rejecting the domain login I have been using for this stating:
library!DefaultDomain!7bc!03/16/2015-06:43:21:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportServerDatabaseUnavailableException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportServerDatabaseUnavailableException: The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "ReportServer" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\username'.
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ConnectionManager.OpenConnection()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---;

I have another server using this same login just fine with no issues at all. The permissions on these 2 servers for this login are identical in all respects, with the account having DBO and RSExec Roles on both. I can actually log in to the SQL server using these credentials and browse both the report server and report server temp databases at will. The reportserver config file is set for NTLM credentialing, and the SPN is set for that username.

I freely admit to being totally at a loss here to explain. DOes anyone have any ideas?

- Advertisement -