Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Poll Discussion
 Side Work (moonlighting)

Author  Topic 

JamesH
Posting Yak Master

149 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-13 : 15:35:08
Just curious to see how many Database Professionals, especially DBA's do work on the side. I have finally taken the step to get a website up and going to do after-hours support for databases and I gotta tell you, there's no competetion. I've even enlisted a few guys from work to fill the holes for customers.

Thanks,

JamesH.

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-13 : 18:48:43
Hey James, if you need anybody to work remotely, let me know!

------------------------------------------------------
The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
Go to Top of Page

JamesH
Posting Yak Master

149 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-13 : 22:00:30
I'll do that. I'm hoping to have my website back up within the next week or so. I'd like to venture out and have DB professionals in major cities that can help each other out with work. I have had a lot of people that would've been customers had they not been so far away. I plan on making a list of Contacts in other cities for DBA work but it will take a little time. Send me an email if you like and I'll send you the link to my site when it's back up. It would be nice to have some others in the profession critique my site and offer constructive criticism.

regards,

JamesH.

Go to Top of Page

nlocklin
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-17 : 14:53:31
I've given the idea some thought. This is something I'd like to explore once I finish my Master's degree in August - until then I probably wouldn't have enough time to start anything serious. I'd love to hear how things go for you. I also have the feeling there aren't a lot of people doing this out there - the few consultants I do see doing this kind of thing are commanding pretty ridiculous fees.

--
"It's not that I'm lazy... it's that I just don't care."
Go to Top of Page

tcronin@cmsstl.com
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-17 : 16:36:43
What skills are you looking for? Have yet to meet 2 dba's who actaully do the same thing. I asw an add for a stay at home DBA that was on monster which turned out to be a scam to have you pay up front and then they would find you work

Go to Top of Page

scootermcfly
Yak Posting Veteran

66 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-20 : 15:40:37
I would like to know how you make out, I have entertained the idea more than once and would be interested in some more info.

Scooter

Go to Top of Page

harshal_in
Aged Yak Warrior

633 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-20 : 22:49:38

this idea was revolving in my mind since quite a while.
Let me know how things take up.
regards
harshal.

Expect the UnExpected

Edited by - harshal_in on 01/20/2003 22:50:09
Go to Top of Page

JamesH
Posting Yak Master

149 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-27 : 08:09:33
I just have to finish some of the .aspx pages and then propogate my DNS Name over the net. The sql worm kind of put a damper on any development this weekend. I do have one solid customer that is a startup and I hope to be able to gain a couple of more soon. With the SQL Server taking market share and its affordability/performance, there's a lot of fish out there that are just getting into the database game. I want to be able to establish a network of QUALIFIED DBA's/Developers that can do the job for a client and not charge the ridiculous fees for being part of a network. SQL Team has done a great job and has provided many with an invaluable service through peer review. SWWUG and many like it would like to make a profit without even providing knowledge which just burns my A$$...

I hope to have it up by next week at the latest.

Thanks,

JamesH.

Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-28 : 11:35:59
I guess it's taking longer than expected....

Definetley up for some extra stuff..

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -