Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 instance connection error?

Author  Topic 

rhopkins_nci
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-07 : 15:47:19
Heres my main issue.

Ive completed the default install of msde on the client xp sp2 and server 2003 r2. Pointed the client to the servers ip\instance, set the server port to 1433 and opened in the client firewall. I get this when doing a test connect with data.udl:

"Test connection failed bc of an error in initializing provider. [dbnetlib][connectionopen(connect()).]sql server doesnt exist or access denied."

The services are running on the server. When performing a trace, the client is trying to resolve the ip\instance with the public dns server. I have netbios over tcpip disabled due to policy and we currently arent running active directory, thats why I used the ip instead of computer name. Not sure if it matters but the two machines are on different subnets. Is this a transport error or authentication error, and how would I fix?

Is there anything else to check? Thanks for the comments. Again, let me know if more info is needed.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-04-14 : 22:35:54
You only need ip address and port number in connection string.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -