Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Analysis Services (2000)
 How to rebuild the dimension structure using DTS?

Author  Topic 

zang
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-02 : 15:24:45
I use a DTS to process my cube (full process).
The problem is when the dimension data change, an error appears . To fix this problem I do manually rebuild the dimension structure and after I process the cube

Are there any way to rebuild always the structures before process the cube?.

Hope to be clear, thanks in advance.

Ariel.

rmiao
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-02 : 19:50:52
What do you mean rebuild dimension structure? Change dimension tables' schema?
Go to Top of Page

zang
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 07:32:34
The problem is when the relationships between the members of the dimensions have change.
So I just want to regenerate automatically the dimensions structures to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance

Ariel
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:24:46
Do you know what kind of change and when those changes happen? By the way, still don't know what you mean rebuild dimension structure.
Go to Top of Page

zang
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 15:49:09
I just mean when I manually do this in Analysis Manager:
Select Shared Dimensions
-> Select a Dimension (Salesman for example)
-> Select Process
-> The Dimension Process window appears
-> I choose the option “regenerate the dimension structure”
-> I do press “accept” Button
End

I do this manually, later I do process the cube and everything works perfect.
I do need do this automatically (from a dts for example).

I hope to be clear,
Thanks

Ariel.
Go to Top of Page

rmiao

7266 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-03 : 16:54:23
Didn't see such task in dts.
Go to Top of Page

sqlgal100
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-24 : 07:14:40
Ariel

Try using sisense to create the report and define the dimensions. It's much easier and it connects to SQL, and it's free.
http://www.sisense.com
Go to Top of Page

Jim77
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

440 Posts

Posted - 2008-06-24 : 13:22:20
I think you firstly need to change the advanced dimension property CHANGING to TRUE, this allows more leaway in the changes that can be made in the dimension table without having to reprocess it so in some cases you basically only need to reprocess the cube without rebuilding the actual dimension, if this doesnt work there is a process in DTS OLAP task that processes a dimension and it is done the same way as processing a cube so if you need to go down this road your dts dimension process tasks must be done before your cube process task that is saved and scheduled in a dts package.

I do regular partitions of all my physical fact tables to reduce the time for the cube processing dts as most of the time my dimension tables schema changes and even with having my dimension set to changing I am still forced into having to process these changed dimensions before I can process the cube as if I dont I get the same error you have zang.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -