Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Couple more Interview questions....

Author  Topic 

jaybee
Yak Posting Veteran

72 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-17 : 15:59:47
These are the other two, although they are quite clear. I wouldn't have minded tackling these myself, especially #1 as there is a hell of a lot to talk about, but I'm going taking milady out in a few, and wanted to toss them out in advance. Actually, I WILL have a quick crack...

1. Describe some of the considerations involved when installing SQL Server on a new server, assuming you have a say in all aspects including hardware, software and operating system.

(Me: OOODLES of Ram, spindles and Raid 1+0, 1Gb Ethernet card, no other software clogging up the Registry,)

3. You are given a script, created by a developer, to apply to a database on a live server. Describe what questions you would ask and checks you would make before carrying out the task.

(Me: I like this one. If it is a straight select, then I don't want to see a dozen joins of multi-million row tables. If it is an alteration, what is being altered? An index, dropping/adding a column, table, database?)

Over to you good people again, what do ya think??)

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-18 : 04:58:34
1) Find out what the server's going to be used for.
It's a waste getting a monster server to run a DB that won't exceed 100MB and might have 2 concurrent users. On the flip side, if it's going to be hosing a 10 TB datawarehouse with analysis services, cubes and hundreds of concurrent users the hardware needs to be very carefully selected.

3) If it's DML (select, insert, update, delete) I would evaluate it against the company's coding standards and ask the developer for the the results of the performance tests in dev (duration, IOs, execution plan)
If it's DDL (alter, create, drop), I would evaluate it against the company's coding standards, ask for the impact analysis that was done (what will this change affect) and a complete rollback script. If it's creating/altering a stored procedure, function or view, I would ask for the result of the performance tests done in dev.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -