Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 The Yak Corral
 Does this ever happen to you?

Author  Topic 

DavidChel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-21 : 16:31:46
I run into a problem with T-SQL. I think about it and perhaps google for syntax and such.

I can't figure it out, but I know that Visakh can. So, I type out this long winded question and the answer occurs to me as I finish typing the question?

If you guys think I post a lot of questions, you should see all the questions that I don't end up hitting "Post New Topic" on.

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-21 : 16:44:20
You mean like at what level for tone to use when answering a question?
Most often third revision of response text is ok to post.

But it depends mostly on the OP.

E 12°55'05.63"
N 56°04'39.26"
Go to Top of Page

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-21 : 16:54:17
Hi David,
that is often doing the trick.
I'm thinking about how to make others clear what my problem is...
And when I've finished I think: What will be the answer of Peso or Visa or madhi...
That's often the moment I don't have a question anymore.

Webfred

Planning replaces chance by mistake
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-21 : 18:00:35
No reaction?
I am afraid that, because of my bad english, someone can misunderstand my last post.
When i wrote
quote:

I mean I've found the answer myself.
I do not mean I don't like the answers of the Yaks

Greetings
Webfred

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-21 : 18:22:00
Patient: "Doc - everybody is ignoring me!"
Doc: "The next please!"

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 01:06:10
webfred: people aren't ignoring you. they are typing up responses, then thinking "nah, that's not worth posting". so they leave the page without hitting the "submit reply" button.

just like I just did.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 01:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by webfred

Hi David,
that is often doing the trick.
I'm thinking about how to make others clear what my problem is...
And when I've finished I think: What will be the answer of Peso or Visa or madhi...

Webfred

Planning replaces chance by mistake

Most cases the difficulty is in making others understand what your problem is. Generally, i do tend to guess what OP scenario was when i see some posts without having reqd info. Only if i cant realy make out what he/she meant, i ask them back for more clarifications.
Go to Top of Page

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 01:42:28
quote:
Originally posted by DavidChel

I run into a problem with T-SQL. I think about it and perhaps google for syntax and such.

I can't figure it out, but I know that Visakh can. So, I type out this long winded question and the answer occurs to me as I finish typing the question?

If you guys think I post a lot of questions, you should see all the questions that I don't end up hitting "Post New Topic" on.

It occurs to all David. there are situations where we cant really make out how to proceed with task or how to solve a problem. At such times, always a fresh pair of eyes can quickly spot where we are going wrong or what solution will be.
Posting a lots of questions is not a demark by any means. It always add a lot to your knowledge as long as you're understanding and learning solutions provided.
Go to Top of Page

spirit1
Cybernetic Yak Master

11752 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 03:48:36
i stopped guessing what posters want around 4k posts. just not worth the nerves

Go to Top of Page

mcrowley
Aged Yak Warrior

771 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 14:24:52
One place I worked in wanted to buy a cardboard cutout of a person. Developers would have to explain their answer to the cardboard cutout, and if they did not get an answer then and there, then they could go see the senior programmer. Same principal. The exercise of forming the question usually ferrets the answer out.
Go to Top of Page

DavidChel
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

474 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 15:36:25
quote:
Originally posted by mcrowley

One place I worked in wanted to buy a cardboard cutout of a person. Developers would have to explain their answer to the cardboard cutout, and if they did not get an answer then and there, then they could go see the senior programmer. Same principal. The exercise of forming the question usually ferrets the answer out.

My cardboard cut out would have to be Master Yoda or maybe Captain Kirk.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 17:24:33
quote:
Originally posted by mcrowley The exercise of forming the question usually ferrets the answer out.

I find that quite often. Hence, these days, I'll often explain a problem to my cats. More often than not, by the time I'm finished I'll have an idea of what to do, if not a full solution.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 21:27:51
quote:
Originally posted by mcrowley

Exactly! That's partially what led me to write this blog post:

http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/jeffs/archive/2008/05/13/question-needed-not-answer.aspx

All too often, here at SqlTeam, the answer is the easy part. Figuring out the *question*, though, that's always the hard part.

- Jeff
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/JeffS
Go to Top of Page

jezemine

2886 Posts

Posted - 2008-10-22 : 22:51:23
I read somewhere there used to be a policy at a computer lab at MIT where if you had a question, you had to ask Max first - before asking the staff at the lab.

Who was Max? a stuffed teddy bear.

elsasoft.org
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -