Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Oracle 9i Application Server

Author  Topic 

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-22 : 02:48:43
Hai Friends
what is Oracle 9i Application Server ?
Is this a database or something else ?
What i know about oracle is...it is a database.
But i dont know what is application server..
if anybody knows about this "Oracle 9i Application Server" please share ur ideas in this forum
Thanks in advance
Yours
Rajesh

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-22 : 03:15:02
dont u think you have posted this Q in the wrong forum.

anywayz herez what Oracle Has to say about it

"Oracle9i Application Server (Oracle9iAS) offers the industry's fastest, most complete and integrated J2EE-certified application server. Oracle9iAS has revolutionized the application server market by being the first to integrate all the technology required to build and deploy e-business portals, transactional applications, and Web services into a single product. Its open and integration-ready architecture ensures that your Web applications can integrate with your IT environment, including legacy systems, the applications of your suppliers and partners, and Oracle and non-Oracle databases. Oracle9iAS offers unmatched scalability, reliability, and security to keep your critical business applications up and running.
Oracle9iAS Release 2 is 100% Standards Compliant supporting standards such as J2EE 1.3, Web Services, SOAP, WSDL, UDDI, RosettaNet 1.1/2.0, ebXML, WebDAV, LDAP v3, SSL v3, and XML. Release 2 introduces significant enhancements to the Oracle9iAS Web Cache, improved High Availability and Clustering Support; and complete management and security of all Oracle9iAS components. "

-------------------------
Graz's Baby is my Master:)

Edited by - Nazim on 12/22/2001 03:15:52
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-23 : 03:57:31
It is, as it says, an Application Server, in competition with the likes of WebSphere, etc. It's a middle-tier platform to house, for example, Java applications (kinda like having a separate COM object server.

Go to Top of Page

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-23 : 04:07:04
Dear AjarnMark,
Thankyou VeryMuch
Can we use this Oracle 9i Application Server as a Database ?
or it is a only application server
If anybody knows about this topic, please share ur ideas
Thanks in advance
Yours
Rajesh

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-23 : 07:37:16
I would use it as a drink coaster

This is what Larry "The Mouth" Ellison has been touting as "Unbreakable" in the media for weeks.

Guess what just got hacked

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/23/0723224&mode=thread

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-23 : 07:39:40
Rajesh if you read this carefully, you will understand Oracle9iAS is a Application Server that supports various technologies including Databases . i think that should answer you Question. Having said that this site is specifically for Sql server related question's. At times questions regarding Ms Access , Asp are answered (but most of them are related to Sql Server). but something like Oracle you have different forums specifically dedicated to it. you can get better information there on Oracle Products.

Anywayz its a friendly community out here and we try our best not to send anyone without any information :) .

quote:

Oracle9iAS has revolutionized the application server market by being the first to integrate all the technology required to build and deploy e-business portals, transactional applications, and Web services into a single product. Its open and integration-ready architecture ensures that your Web applications can integrate with your IT environment, including legacy systems, the applications of your suppliers and partners, and Oracle and non-Oracle databases. Oracle9iAS offers unmatched scalability, reliability, and security to keep your critical business applications up and running.

Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-23 : 07:45:06
MMMMMMM Marketing blurb

I prefer this one, from a Slashdot poster

quote:

Oracle9i Application Server is basically Apache 1.3 bundled with Orion Application Server and and embedded (yes, embedded!) Oracle database server used for data caching. There are a variety of add-ons included as well, depending on how many tens of thousands of dollars (per processor) one wants to spend.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-23 : 09:18:30
Merkin where did u got that one from.

Oracle9i Application Server is basically Apache 1.3 bundled with Orion Application Server and and embedded (yes, embedded!) Oracle database server used for data caching could you xplain more on this.

Microsoft also has its own suite of Server Products . Application Service Centre, Commerce Server,Biztalk . therez quiet a impressive list.

http://www.microsoft.com/servers/

Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-24 : 00:42:13
That is a quote from a poster on Slashdot, follow the link I posted.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-25 : 00:53:35
Dear Nazim
I cannot find oracle discussion forums.
If anybody knows oracle discussion forum sites. please suggest me those sites
I am verymuch eager to know about oracle database with the help of discussion forums.
Thanks in advance
Yours
Rajesh

[quote]
but something like Oracle you have different forums specifically dedicated to it. you can get better information there on Oracle Products.
[quote]
[i]

Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-25 : 01:17:45
Hi Rajesh,

Dont mind i repeating about putting your Question in Oracle Forum. Coz thats the place you will get better information on it. not to say you dont get any info from sqlteam. Sqlteam has always been helpful and have tried answering every question . yeah when i say every question , i also mean questions which are not related to Sql server remotely.

Arent u getting the links of Oracle forums from here .

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/

should i suggest u something more. better go to www.google.com and search for "Oracle Forums" or "Oracle Discussion Forums" and you will find loads of them.

Read all the Stuff about Oracle and feel why Sql Server is better then Oracle Databases. if not for any reason , atleast Oracle Doesnt have a discussion forum to match like Sql Server has Sqlteam.com .

Go to Top of Page

rajeshkumar77
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 2001-12-26 : 20:33:27
Dear Nazim ,

Thankyou VeryMuch
Your Post helped me alot while finding of Oracle discussion forums.
Thanks once again.

Yours
Rajesh

quote:

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/

should i suggest u something more. better go to www.google.com and search for "Oracle Forums" or "Oracle Discussion Forums" and you will find loads of them.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -