Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2005)
 SQL Error 15404: Could not obtain information...

Author  Topic 

Earp
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2009-03-23 : 14:55:09
I'm getting the following message in the SQL Sever Logs:
Date 3/23/2009 2:43:00 PM
Log SQL Agent (Current - 3/23/2009 2:43:00 PM)

[298] SQLServer Error: 15404, Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'domain\projserver', error code 0x534. [SQLSTATE 42000] (ConnIsLoginSysAdmin)

But the user it is trying to find information about is not a valid user in Active Directory or a valid SQL server login. It was at one time, but the user was deleted. I'm not sure if a database is still looking for this user, but I checked the permissions for each DB and none list this "projserver" account. This account was one we originally set up during a Project Sever installation, but the databases were erased and the software was re-installed. So my guess is that something somewhere is still looking for this account. But I'm not sure where to look. Any ideas?

Also, under Permissions on a few of the Project Server databases, under Permissions, a user or role named "U_MSP_DAL_Cert" was listed, but if I clicked on Effective Permissions, I get the following error:
An execption occurred while executing Transact-sQL statement or batch. --> Cannot execute as the database principal because the "U_MSP_DAL_Cert" does not exist, this type of principal cannot be impersonated, or you do not have permission.

No idea what this error means either. Any help on it?

revdnrdy
Posting Yak Master

220 Posts

Posted - 2009-03-23 : 17:37:21
I am not sure but perhaps you have an orphaned user?

What happens when you run this command?

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'Report'

If it comes back with any rows then those id's are orpahned users.
If it comes back with no results then everything is fine.

r&r
Go to Top of Page

lapers
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2012-02-22 : 07:47:38
I had same error message. My solution was that owner of database was domain user. So if domain not available I got this error. I changed owner of database to sa user and everything works fine even if domain is not available.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -