Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Database Design and Application Architecture
 Needs to make a ODBC connection

Author  Topic 

madhava.maganti
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-04-28 : 05:18:58
Hi Gurus,

I have a problem, while creating ODBC connection for remote Sql Server 2005 database. If any one has addressed the root cause of this issue will greatly appreciate.

This is my requirement:

On daily we have to generate plenty of reports by using predefined queries. For this we are planning to automate by using Informatica ETL tool and we are trying to achieve the connection to Inforamtica and Sql Server by using ODBC driver. But I am not able to create ODBC connection on RDC and in my local machine. We are connecting to Sql Server RDC(Remote Desktop Connection) by using VPN connection; If this is the root cause for ODBC connection then how can I resolve my issue please advice?.

Regards,
Madhava

Madhava

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2009-04-28 : 05:33:44
What errors are you getting trying to create the ODBC connection?
Go to Top of Page

madhava.maganti
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-04-28 : 08:08:44
Thanks for your reply; I made different attempts with different parameters. Following are the errors I received in all the attempts.

Error1:
Connect failed:
SQL State:’01000’
Sql Server Error:10060
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
Connection failed:
SQLState:’08001’
SQL Server Error:17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets] Sql Server does not exist or access denied.

Error2:
Connection failed:
SQL State:’01000’
SQL Server Error:18456
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Login failed for user ‘’

Regards,
Madhava

Madhava
Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2009-04-28 : 08:13:09
Are you trying to use Windows Authentication by any chance? You will need to set a username and password in the connection as you will not be able to use a trusted connection on a remote server.
Go to Top of Page

madhava.maganti
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2009-04-28 : 08:32:54
Even though its not working. Actually in this same RDC we have two databases; one is a windows based authentication (database has residing in the same server), second one is SQL server based authentication(database has residing in another machine). I was tried with two chances but there is no luck for me :(.

Regards,
Madhava

Madhava
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -