Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Conflicts

Author  Topic 

mikebird
Aged Yak Warrior

529 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-07 : 05:18:44
I don't know WHAT is happening.

I am told since I've been using this system (running queries) the users have been suffering problems (thrown out... ) using language which is not that of DBAs and nothing I can ask about.

I view sp_who_2 active to see who runs at the same time as me - I ave times of the day they aren't using their application to INSERT / UPDATE records so I can make full use of the SQL Server 2000 but I would like to know theier reasons for crashes or whatever it is.

My login is restricted - I am not a DBA at present - can't run Profiler, or kill my runaway sessions

What can I do to investigate problem causes and make things better?

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-07 : 05:25:29
With this given information I would say you should run your queries in that times of the day they arent't using their app to manipulate records.
But we don't know what you are doing.

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

mikebird
Aged Yak Warrior

529 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-07 : 05:54:45
What I do is T-SQL stuff, not admin stuff. Using existing views to join increasing numbers of views, pull columns and these run times are getting terrible. 30 mins was bad. Now 3 hours plus, each, and worse. Sticking to top 1, but I need more rows to aggregate on...

I blame this on a sickly slow server. 4 procs, 3.58 Gb memory
Go to Top of Page

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2009-09-07 : 06:03:10
I don't know why you are doing that T-SQL stuff.
Maybe you do better a copy to a different server (dev environment) (ask your admin) and do your job there?

No, you're never too old to Yak'n'Roll if you're too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -