Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Forum Questions

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 22:41:31
Jeremy writes "I have couple of questions/suggestions for the forum and could not find elsewhere in the site to e-mail the website administrator. Two suggestions I have:
1) Provide a search criteria for questions that have 0 replies
2) Add some sort of notification to the question header as to whether or not a suitable answer has been received.

Just my two cents worth. I really enjoy the site. Keep up the good work."

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 22:47:25
Like both suggestions.

Also - be able to subscribe to Access posts (or is it just me?)

--
I hope that when I die someone will say of me "That guy sure owed me a lot of money"
Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 22:57:00
The forums here are the snitz forums.

Snitz is an open source project, that means two things..

1. Updates come out. (A good thing)
2. Graz doesn't want to make custom mods to them because that will get screwed up by any updates. (A bad thing).

Best bet would be to lobby the developers at http://forum.snitz.com/

Damian
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 23:19:39
Damian

What about being able to subscribe to MS Access posts - surely that's not determined by snitz?

--
I hope that when I die someone will say of me "That guy sure owed me a lot of money"
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 23:24:08
Ok, for those lucky few reading this post, please check out: (http://www.sqlteam.com/Forums/zero.asp). It's a royal pain in the butt to modify pages but creating new ones is muuuuuch easier. And I was able to copy active.asp. Since I've created a new page it shouldn't be affected by updates however it MAY go away for a while when updates come out.

I should probably just write some type of .NET web service to notify people when you questions are posted :) Then the hordes can descend!

I originally just put in subscriptions to see if anyone would use them. I'll go open it up when I'm done with this post. Check in a few minutes.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 23:26:31
Oh great

Just make a liar out of me Graz!

Damian
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 23:30:43
quote:

Oh great

Just make a liar out of me Graz!

Damian

Actually I made a liar out of me since I was the one said it was hard. And I really didn't have to modify the Snitz code, I just modified a copy of it. We'll see what kind of trouble I get in when the next update breaks it

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 23:37:33
quote:
1) Provide a search criteria for questions that have 0 replies

Done. But undocumented except for this thread. We'll see if it gets used. If so it might find it's way into the menu.

quote:
2) Add some sort of notification to the question header as to whether or not a suitable answer has been received.

That is a little bit harder to do. It requires pretty extensive modification of the Snitz code which I hate to do. I'm afraid it would also ber pretty subjective. Who decides what a good answer is? Also many of the questions are posted anonymously. I've also thought about a way to rate answers or identify posters that provide valuable answers.

It's something I'll keep thinking about. If you have any ideas please feel free to share them. If you see something good on another web site, please let me know about it.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-11 : 23:57:17
Thanks graz!

Aw, what a gorgeous little he is...

quote:

I'm afraid it would also ber pretty subjective

It's easy. Just look for in the thread contents

--
Go to Top of Page

rrb
SQLTeam Poet Laureate

1479 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 00:03:23
Zero is cool!

And now all we need is for Damian to go and answer them all!

Cheers

--
Go to Top of Page

joldham
Wiseass Yak Posting Master

300 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 07:53:05
Graz,

Didn't mean to create work for you, but I do like the Zero page. Thanks for the quick reply!

As far as whether the questions is answered, I would think that only the person who originally posted the question could make that judgement. Not knowing enough about the program, I would think adding a flag to the Post header would be the best way to go. How to allow only the poster to modify that flag is another question.

Again, I only wanted to make suggestions, not more work.

Jeremy

Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 09:36:04
quote:
Again, I only wanted to make suggestions, not more work.

No problem. I'm always happy to hear ideas. Just don't hold you breath on the "somebody answered my question" flag :)

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

TJ
Posting Yak Master

201 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 09:37:34
Here's a thought from a novice...

All answers here are relevant to me. They may not help the person posting the question every time, but they keep me from making mistakes as well as help me learn. There have also been times when I didn't need to ask questions in the forums because the answers were found in one of the posts.

I'd like to thank everyone for their continued support and offer kudos for this site!

Teresa

"Happiness is found along the way;
not at the end of the road."
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 10:40:48
graz, how abt rating every answer same as Article rating.

hmmm got my own doubts abt members using it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 17:10:39
Nope, I disagree with comment rating 100%
It will make people less inclined to think for themselves. If you have ever spent any time at Experts Exchange you would know what I mean.

Look at some of the threads here from the last few days where people have not accepted "look up the syntax in BOL" and gotten quite rude about it. If comments were rated, or threads marked as answered, the people who provide correct answers will be moderated down because the original poster isn't prepared to do his/her share of the work.

I say leave it open. If you want moderated comments or "solved" questions, spend a little time on Slashdot or Experts Exchange (Come straight back of course ) and you will get sick of it.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

joldham

300 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 17:25:12
Damian,

Never really spent time at those sites, but all makes sense to me. In hind sight, why change a good, no a great thing!

Jeremy

Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 17:51:57
In the last 30 days I've had 12,301 page views of the item.asp page. That's 12,301 article readings. During that same time there have been 13 people (or maybe the same person 13 times) that took the time to rate an article. Granted you have to be logged in to rate an article. That's a whopping one tenth of one percent (or 0.1%) response rate.

So I'd have to say that article rating hasn't quite been the raging success I'd hoped it would. I don't see any reason for comment rating to be more wildly successfull. I'm also not sure who we'd have rate the answers. The person who asked the question? They obviously know the least about a particular area. How do they differentiate between a good answer and a great answer?

Do we let anyone rate posts? What are the benefits of rating answers? I can see some benefits of rating posters but that's completely differnt thing to start talking about. I think I like it the way it is. Wrong or poor answers are responded to with better answers. Some weird kind of information evolution. Not very objective but SQL isn't always an objective language. Just as there were 50 ways to leave your lover there are many, many ways to write a query

I'll say it again, somebody show me a better solution on another site (that isn't copyrighted) and I'll think about something like that. I really like the comment moderation on slashdot but now all you need is some anti-MS rhetoric to get moderated up. I really don't want to take a risk and try something new. I think it works pretty well now.

I think it boils down to 13 article ratings in 30 days. If people don't have time to rate articles then the ratings must not have value to them. If the ratings don't have value then I don't want to spend time making more ratings.

I do value the discussion and I'm happy to read and respond as long as people want to discuss it.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now :) Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

joldham

300 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 19:13:51
Graz,

Didn't know I was going to stir the pot so much. I just to explain my original intent. With the zero post idea I think was obvious. Then I can see questions that no one has had a chance to write a response to and put my efforts in there.

The second part, questions answered, was again where is the best place to put my efforts. Until I looked at the Snitz Forum Code, I didn't realized that you probably have topics archived after a certain number of days. After all the discussion here, I agree with I think the majority that the zero page is a great benefit and user ratings, etc. should go by the wayside.

Jeremy

Sorry for the jab, but I have to take the opportunity. Boomer Sooner! Big 12 Champs

Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-12 : 19:23:33
Good Golly! A Sooner fan! And doing SQL work. What will they think of next?!?

Oh well, good luck in the tournery!

And as I said, I'm always open to ideas that can make the site better. I'd rather hear them than not hear them.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-14 : 19:32:39
Graz,

This is really wierd. I KNOW that there used to be an option like your zero.asp page on the Forums sub-menu. It must have been in an earlier version of Snitz, but I remember using it a couple of times. I even got razzed by robvolk because I posted something silly just to get one off the list.

Anyway, I'm glad to see it's available again.

------------------------
GENERAL-ly speaking...
Go to Top of Page

Merkin

4970 Posts

Posted - 2002-03-14 : 19:44:42
There was one to get unanswered "AskSQLTeam" posts. It was created by Graz, and disappeared with the last upgrade.

It may even be still there, just not on the menu.

Damian
Go to Top of Page
    Next Page

- Advertisement -