Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Performance question

Author  Topic 

AdamWest
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

360 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-13 : 09:08:16
THis is not a my main job issue, but i work part time in a restautant. They have a Restaurant system called Restaurant express on a SQL Server. Very often it happens that the system is very slow. I was wondering if there was anything I could do on that SQL Server that could help, whilst not harming the app in any way.
It's slow as far as when you enter an order it takes forerver to load the items etc.

visakh16
Very Important crosS Applying yaK Herder

52326 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-13 : 09:14:17
it depends on what all indexes you've on tables, the actual logic used for retrieval/ saving of details etc..
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest

360 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-13 : 09:51:06
Yes I am hesitant to touch too much because if I crashed the system, on a busy Sunday, it would be an absolute disaster. I was hoping maybe there is something benign I could try.
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-13 : 10:42:24
I think it may be likely that no routine "housekeeping" is being done.

Rebuilding Indexes, Updating table statistics, that type of thing. Any idea if that is happening?

Maybe the TLog file is not getting backed up. Can you see if you can find the *.MDF and *.LDF files for the database, and if so how big are they? (If the LDF is more than 2x the size of MDF that is probably the problem)

Does the SQL box ever get rebooted? If not a reboot would clear all the Query Plans from the cache, and create new ones (if the Statistics are up to date the new plans will better reflect the current "shape" of the tables)

I'm struggling to see how a restaurant can have enough data in SQL server for it to run slowly, so I think it is very likely that the problem is a lack of regular housekeeping, particularly if it has been getting slower over time.
Go to Top of Page

AdamWest

360 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-13 : 11:52:58
OK thanks I will have a look at your ideas this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -