Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Mirroring/Restore

Author  Topic 

DarrenDen
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-08 : 12:13:14
We have software that controls the locks/doors in our offices. We have currently been having problems with out servers and are looking for a fallback in case the servers go down...

We looked into replication for a while, getting it going but found out we needed Mirroring to achieve our goal.

From what I've read on-line what I need to do is

Set the Recovery mode on the database I'm mirroring to Full, create a backup of the primary database & logs and restore on the mirror to another database with the same name...

Restore it with no recovery set... etc

When I do this it restores correctly but stays in "Restoring...."

I'm running SQL server 2005 on both the primary and mirror... don't understand what I'm doing wrong

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-08 : 12:21:47
That's perfectly correct. You want it in that state so that you can complete the mirroring setup.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-08 : 12:24:38
With mirroring in place, the mirrored database is not available until you failover to it. Mirroring only allows one database to be in use at a time. When the primary server fails and you failover to the mirror, then the mirrored database will be available.

Maybe what you want is clustering instead? Do you have a disaster recovery site or just one site?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

DarrenDen
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2010-11-09 : 04:20:50
Thanks for your help guys... I didn't know that the Restoring mode was required for this step

I am attempting the mirroring process now with a witness...

And get this error....

TITLE: Database Properties
------------------------------

An error occurred while starting mirroring.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Alter failed for Database '____'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.3042.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Alter+Database&LinkId=20476

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

The server network address "TCP://_____.______.internal:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1418)

I read somewhere you can run an sql statement to check if the endpoints are being created and as far as I can tell they were. The firewall is down on the mirror, witness and the primary. So by right it shouldn't have any problem with the ports...

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -