Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Running Legacy DTS packages

Author  Topic 

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 11:48:22
Need help....I imported SQl server 2000 DTS packages into SQL Server 2008 and it shows up under legacy node perfectly. But iam unable to locate the legacy packages and so if I want to use the dtexec utility to run it in 32-bit mode I cannot locate the package?. if anyone knows were to find the dTS packages it would be great?. Or to run the DTS packages without locating the DTS packages can be helpful guidance too?.thanks all.
BTW my server in which SQL Server 2008 is a 64-bit environment?

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 11:54:45
They should be in msdb..sysdtspackages.

Have you read this?
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 13:14:10
Thanks russel...so if iam running my DTexec utility in my command prompt which is in my E:\program Files\...\DTS\Binn>DTExec /DTS "\Package" /SERVER servername/instance....would this execute the DTS package or should I specify the package name where it says "\Package"...and iam able to access the DTS packages by query but can I specify that as package path too.. like servername\msdb\dbo.sysdtspackages...at this part iam struck and need help..and being 64 bit is bad it doesn't allow me to run the package or migrate it..
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 13:45:55
You should be using dtsrun, not dtexec for DTS packages.

dtsrun /SServerName /N"Package Name Here" /E
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 13:48:29
By the way, we kept a SQL 2000 server around for a long time just to execute our DTS packages before we got them all migrated to SSIS (or stored procs in many cases).

Another thing you can do is install the SQL 2000 client tools on a Windows server (doesn't need to be anything fancy) and export all of the packages as .dts files, then run them from that server.
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 14:51:02
Thanks russsel again...had a question this might sound a bit weird but I just did not want to take a chance...Iam planning to export dts packages as you suggested to destination server so for this Iam planning to go to "design Package" in SQl Server 2000 and "save as" a different file name in Storage file...So by doing I want that it should only create a copy of the existing package...These DTS packages are critical for server being used now so I just wanted to ensure this is what "save as" will be doing? Create a copy of the existing DTS. Let me know if its wrong..
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 15:36:21
Thanks russell again...had a question this might sound a bit weird but I just did not want to take a chance...Iam planning to export dts packages as you suggested to destination server so for this Iam planning to go to "design Package" in SQl Server 2000 and "save as" a different file name in Storage file...So by doing I want that it should only create a copy of the existing package...These DTS packages are critical for server being used now so I just wanted to ensure this is what "save as" will be doing? Create a copy of the existing DTS. Let me know if its wrong..
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 16:01:53
Here is a tool I wrote a few years ago to migrate all DTS packages to files.

I accidentally lost the source code when I got a new laptop

Anyway, it's written in VB6, so it may or may not work on your system -- no source code means I can't make an installation package for it.

It is easy and fast.

Just connect to a database instance and it will list all the DTS packages. Type in a valid location to save them too.
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 16:18:14
Iam unable to find dtsrun utility...I installed DTS Runtime Environment too but no good
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 16:23:34
Thanks russell.Will try that out and let you know how did it go?
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-09 : 16:23:57
I think you CAN use dtexec actually. See here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345282(v=SQL.100).aspx
Go to Top of Page

strived
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-14 : 17:05:37
Russel I used package migration wizard successfully to import....I tried the program you gave me but it was not detecting any DTS packages I think I was not running it in supported versions I suppose..anyways got it done!!!!thanks for your help
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2010-12-14 : 17:16:24
Glad you got it worked out
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -