Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 Express Edition and Compact Edition (2005)
 CREATE DATABASE failed??

Author  Topic 

motifman22
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-03 : 11:18:16
I am new to SQL Server and am trying to install a program called T-HUB (order syncing software for Quickbooks Point of Sale and our online store). When attempting to install this program, it gives the following error message:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup
------------------------------
SQL Server Setup failed to execute a command for server configuration. The error was [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.. Refer to the server error logs and Setup logs for detailed error information.

I have spoken to the software creator a few times and he is not sure what is going on here. He suggested I uninstall SQL Server and then try installing the program again, but I still haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance for any help!

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-03 : 12:27:04
Likely a permissions iussue, but your software vendor might be the only one who can say for sure. Telling you to reinstall SQL Server, without 1st checking anything, is not an acceptable answer.

You can check the SQL Server logs and Windows application log, but again, the application may be the problem.
Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-03 : 20:40:15
You can probably use the profiler to find the statement that is failing.
Could be that the files for the database already exists or that it can't create them for some other reason. Maybe it has a fixed path or you have something in the default path it doesn't allow for.

Given the response from the creator I would expect the installation to not be very robust.
Which login does it use for the installation? Make sure it has sa premissions and do a create database test. If that works and the installation still doesn't then I suspect a fixed path that doesn't exist on your m/c.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-04 : 08:23:11
I'd say either a permission issue or a "malfunctioning" disk issue. If the installer tries to put the database files on a d-drive and you only have a c-drive you will get this message (or if the drive specified is non-writable, like a dvd-drive or somethng).

- Lumbago

My blog (yes, I have a blog now! just not that much content yet)
-> www.thefirstsql.com
Go to Top of Page

motifman22
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-04 : 13:25:01
quote:
Originally posted by nigelrivett

You can probably use the profiler to find the statement that is failing.
Could be that the files for the database already exists or that it can't create them for some other reason. Maybe it has a fixed path or you have something in the default path it doesn't allow for.

Given the response from the creator I would expect the installation to not be very robust.
Which login does it use for the installation? Make sure it has sa premissions and do a create database test. If that works and the installation still doesn't then I suspect a fixed path that doesn't exist on your m/c.

I'm not sure what you mean by using the profiler to find the statement that is failing. How do I do this? As mentioned in my post, I don't know much at all about SQL and how it works - just know that I have a problem with installation and know that you guys can help me fix this.

Also, if anyone of you would be interested in sharing my screen, maybe you could quickly run through the steps with me. Just a thought..thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

motifman22
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-04 : 13:45:14
quote:
Originally posted by Lumbago

I'd say either a permission issue or a "malfunctioning" disk issue. If the installer tries to put the database files on a d-drive and you only have a c-drive you will get this message (or if the drive specified is non-writable, like a dvd-drive or somethng).

- Lumbago

-> www.thefirstsql.com

Hmmm, don't know why it would be a permissions issue as I am the sole admin/only user for this computer (unless by permissions you mean something else..). Also, I have both a C drive and D drive, so this would not be an issue.
Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-04 : 23:46:39
>> Also, I have both a C drive and D drive, so this would not be an issue.
What if it's trying to create on the T: drive? (If you have a T drive just pick a letter you don't have :)).

I would find the create database command to see what it is doing.

Go to Top of Page

motifman22
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 14:13:36
quote:
Originally posted by nigelrivett

>> Also, I have both a C drive and D drive, so this would not be an issue.
What if it's trying to create on the T: drive? (If you have a T drive just pick a letter you don't have :)).

I would find the create database command to see what it is doing.

Gotcha. I have no idea how to find the create database command to see what it is doing. Any guidance as to how I do this?
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-06 : 14:16:31
Start a profiler trace and run the setup.

It is very unlikely you're going to be able to fix this if the statement is in the compiled code.

But you will be able to capture it to see.
Go to Top of Page

Lumbago
Norsk Yak Master

3271 Posts

Posted - 2011-01-07 : 07:05:43
How to create a useful profiler trace:

http://thefirstsql.com/2011/01/07/sql-server-profiler-a-tutorial/

- Lumbago

-> www.thefirstsql.com
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -