Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 Lsn doubt

Author  Topic 

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-07 : 10:33:23
Hi all,
i have a doubt regarding LSN. if some one take a backup of a log n the LSN will be miss placed,there will be an error occurs so how to over come this problem.

thanks in advance.

GilaMonster
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-07 : 17:13:12
Misplaced? What error?
I honestly don't get what you're asking.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-09 : 00:15:27
if any one took a T-Bkp on primary server of log shipping.we get an error right so where we will get that error message. is it in error logs,event logs or any where else...i couldn't find the error please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-09 : 01:24:43
If you take a full backup out of cycle, use WITH COPY ONLY option, so as not to break the log chain.
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-09 : 02:54:36
quote:
Originally posted by russell

If you take a full backup out of cycle, use WITH COPY ONLY option, so as not to break the log chain.

Full backups do not break the log chain, no matter what options are used.

Copy only on a full backup is there to not reset the differential base for differential backups.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

GilaMonster

4507 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-09 : 02:56:14
quote:
Originally posted by ksr39

if any one took a T-Bkp on primary server of log shipping.we get an error right so where we will get that error message. is it in error logs,event logs or any where else...i couldn't find the error please let me know.

The error will be in the log shipping secondary's error log, when the restore log fails due to the missing log backup.

The only fixes are to find the log backup that was taken and manually restore it on the secondary, or restore a full backup on the secondary to restart the log shipping.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP
Go to Top of Page

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-09 : 03:03:30
Thank you very much
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-02-09 : 10:35:45
quote:
Originally posted by GilaMonster

quote:
Originally posted by russell

Full backups do not break the log chain, no matter what options are used.

Copy only on a full backup is there to not reset the differential base for differential backups.

--
Gail Shaw
SQL Server MVP

Yep, thanks Gail. My typing fingers were faster than my brain. last night. Had to stay up til 3am watching a deployment. I should get more sleep b4 I post
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -