Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 How do I use dollar signs and commas insted?

Author  Topic 

hallyvaux
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:15:59
I am trying to make something turn out as a whole number under my percentages column. I have the following code but was told I should use commas and dollar signs. The part I am wanting to change is just the statement beginning with ROUND. I want the same result just would like to know how to use , and $. Thank you :)

SELECT ORDID "Order ID", NAME, ADDRESS, SELLPRICE "Price Sold", COSTPRICE "Product Cost", ROUND ((COSTPRICE / SELLPRICE) * 100) "%Profit"
FROM GS_CUSTOMER, GS_SALES
WHERE GS_CUSTOMER.CUSTID = GS_SALES.CUSTID
ORDER BY ORDID;

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:18:14
Do this formatting in your application and not in SQL Server.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

hallyvaux
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:27:59
I have an assignment that requires this unless I am totally misinterpreting it. "Research ho to put $ signs and comma editing symbols in numeric results" Generate a report that is titled % Profit for Each Sale and research hot to whos the percent value as a whole number. Research formatting options" Those are my instructions for one problem. I have researched and can't find what I'm looking for so this is my last attempt at research. I've shown the whole numbers by using round and the end result looks like our example.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:29:48
What tool are you using for your report?

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

hallyvaux
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:38:42
She just wants us to copy a small portion of our output and put it under the script we use to get it. We are using http://lovelace.cs.missouriwestern.edu:5560/isqlplus/ and I am just copying the output underneath to a word document under my scripts.
Go to Top of Page

jimf
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2875 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:39:25
It's a trick question, or poorly worded homework. As soon as you add a character to a number, like $ or ,, it's no longer a number, but a string. So you can't format a number as $100.00 or 1,000, you can only format a string to look like that.
select convert(varchar(100),convert(money,1000000),1)
(I converted the integer,1000000 to a money data type, and then converted that to string

Look at Books On Line under convert function to see what you get if you change the 1 to a 0 or 2
Jim

Everyday I learn something that somebody else already knew
Go to Top of Page

hallyvaux
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:40:07
Sorry that was full of nasty grammatical errors. Proofreading before sending is not my forte.
Go to Top of Page

hallyvaux
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:40:54
With the way things have been, I would go with "poorly worded homework"
Go to Top of Page

hallyvaux
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:42:09
But for the purposes of a report that I don't intend to do any formatting with, could I use them? If so, how?
Go to Top of Page

hallyvaux
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 19:48:40
Ugh. Nvm. I think I see what you are saying. I couldn't use any functions once I convert them into strings so I couldn't get the percentage value. Right?
Go to Top of Page

jimf

2875 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 20:15:05
You still can, but now it's a matter of timing! A percentage is a number divided by another number, once you calculate that, then you can make it look like something else (adding $ or % etc.)

select '%' + convert(varchar(10), convert(numeric(5,2), 1.0/2 *100 ) )

This goes from the inside- out. I converted 1.0/2 (see what happens if you just do 1/2!) to a number with 5 digits, 2 to the left of the decimal, and then converted that to a string so I could add the '%' to it.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

jimf

2875 Posts

Posted - 2011-05-02 : 20:17:01
P.S. This is why Tara gave the most correct answer -- do the formatting in the front-end!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -