Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2005 Forums
 High Availability (2005)
 log file is full in mirroring

Author  Topic 

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-19 : 11:24:08
Hi All,

My log file is full for one of my database which is in mirroring what can be done to over come this problem.

Thank you All in Advance.

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-19 : 11:29:51
Take regular log backups, every hour at least, every 15 minutes is recommended. Mirroring or no, if your databases are using Full or Bulk-logged recovery you must perform regular transaction log backups.
Go to Top of Page

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-19 : 11:41:03
Hi,

ok but for now can i shrink my log or is there any other option which can be done with out breaking my mirroring.
Go to Top of Page

Cindyaz
Yak Posting Veteran

73 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-19 : 11:46:46
you'll have to take the log backup first. and then probably shrink to an appropriate size.
this change ("shrink") will also be applied to mirror database.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2011-10-19 : 11:54:14
Exactly. You can leave mirroring running during the log backup, indeed that will be necessary to ensure the log clears on the mirror so you can shrink the log file.

Make sure to keep the log file at a reasonable size so that it does not have to autogrow during normal operations.
Go to Top of Page

jeffw8713
Aged Yak Warrior

819 Posts

Posted - 2011-12-06 : 14:05:18
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

Exactly. You can leave mirroring running during the log backup, indeed that will be necessary to ensure the log clears on the mirror so you can shrink the log file.

Make sure to keep the log file at a reasonable size so that it does not have to autogrow during normal operations.

Just to clarify - this does not mean put in a process to 'shrink' the log file. It means, schedule transaction log backups frequently enough to maintain the size of the transaction log.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -