Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Maintanance Task Failure

Author  Topic 

dbalearner
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

272 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-08 : 10:34:58
When the backup is procured the old file is unable to delete as it is in Sharing mode for which the error says:

Deletion is voilated as the destiny or source file is in use.

As there is no evidence for this backup file is in use by any transfer protocol.

This happens only one day which is on friday.

Can anyone help in identifying this scenario as what would be the cause for the sharing voilation since there is no sharing.

nigelrivett
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-08 : 11:55:24
Do you have something that backs up the disk on that day?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
SSIS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-08 : 20:57:21
the backup runs on all days and especially on FRIDAY evening as ususal it runs but found there is sharing of this backup file to either from source or to Destination is working.

I tried during that time to DELETE manually when I got the above message of voilation as the file is in use for sharing, which I have checked but couldn't find which process is attached or which job is engaged, since there is no evidence that this sharing should work.

Absouletely clue less, sorrow any missing factor which I couldn't see in broader way.

Please can you explain.
Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-12 : 04:24:39
Not sure what you are saying - is the backup running when yoou try to access the file or not?

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-12 : 12:30:17
Sounds like the tape backup process may be backing it up to tape at the time when the delete is tried. That's what happens on our systems, so we moved the start time of the tape backup process so it was done before the delete.

Tara Kizer
Microsoft MVP for Windows Server System - SQL Server
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-13 : 19:53:26
It is like well after the Full Backup the Old Backup should gets deleted through CLEANUP TASK. This happens all the days but not on FRIDAY Evening. I have monitoried on this evening and found that Old Backup (which is well after the fresh backup, just then) was about to delete as it should be like other times through CLEAN UP TASK. but it wont for couple of hours...

In the meanwhile while monitoring I tried MANUALLY to delete this old backup, then it says 'The Source or Destination File may be in Use'.

When there is no such File Sharing happening on all other days then what kind of sharing happening on this PARTICULAR FRIDAY?

Where are the places and points I should investigate, your suggestion is much aprreciated.
Go to Top of Page

nigelrivett

3385 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-14 : 04:27:57
What is your disk backup schedule for each day.
What is your delete schedule for each day.

Still not clear whether you are saying it is the disk backup that is causing the problem.

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-14 : 12:29:30
I've seen many posts here that the cleanup task of a maintenance plan doesn't work. I believe the solution has been to redo the maintenance plan. I just use custom scripts, so I avoid that issue.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

dbalearner

272 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-14 : 17:03:58
Thanks for your Replies.

The Full backup scheduled everyday at 10 PM completes in 50 - 55 Minutes and thereafter goes with Cleanup task with the old backup, so It keeps only the latest backup.

This is the procedure every weekday but not on Friday as something forcing not to delete 'this old backup'.

Definetely, it is not the disk backup to tape because if this backup is scheduled to tape then should happen on all days but something which is still unknown force is sharing this file oN FRIDAY. (sharing file is working hard on weekend night )

Some more light Please.

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2012-06-14 : 17:16:00
I'd put my money on it being the tape backup.

Tara Kizer

Subscribe to my blog
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -