Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 measure luck

Author  Topic 

sf
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-10 : 19:53:40
Hello all,

-- SOMETHING NOT RELATED TO SQL--

Does anybody thought or came up with a piece of magic
how to measure success?

Example: lets say that you have to take an exam that randomly
you learned about and you have just a week period to study and you
take the exam only once. The test comes with multiple choice questions.
Lets say that you don't like to just gues to any of the questions
and you like to use a technique that approximately can help you to chose
the right answer of the multiple choice questions?
is there a way to do this?

i will appreciate your time and your thought for any trick that you may know.

thanks,
al

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-10 : 22:29:24
quote:
Does anybody thought or came up with a piece of magic how to measure success?
Whoever dies with the most toys wins.

Not really magic, but it's true.

quote:

I've found one really great way to do well on tests: STUDY GODDAMMIT!

You certainly can't do worse on a test if you studied for it than if you didn't. Studying may not make you smarter, but it definitely does not make you dumber.

Whether this is related to SQL or not, if you're looking for someone to say to you, "Sure, sit on your ass for a week getting laid or drunk or stoned or any combination of the three instead of studying, you'll do fine" you need to move on to another web site.

I think it's really sad that you're spending time looking for someone to validate your own laziness instead of applying yourself to a goal you appear to want to achieve. If that's the case, shit, just hire someone to take the test for you.

Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-10 : 23:52:05
quote:

Example: lets say that you have to take an exam that randomly
you learned about and you have just a week period to study and you
take the exam only once. The test comes with multiple choice questions.
is there a way to do this?

That was my approach to university - apart from the multiple choice bit.

Usually multiple choice are marked as 3 for correct -1 for wrong if 4 options.
If you can rule out one of the answers it's worth guessing between the others.
But if you have to guess on a lot of questions you probably shouldn't be taking the exam and deserve to fail.

Company just asked me to take quiz online tests for VB6 and sql server 7 (normally I would refuse as irrelevant but I was bored).
Both tests had stuff about RDO (and not ADO or DAO) - shows how up to date they are.
Took me a while to figure out what those questions were talking about.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-10 : 23:55:11
quote:

Whether this is related to SQL or not, if you're looking for someone to say to you, "Sure, sit on your ass for a week getting laid or drunk or stoned or any combination of the three instead of studying, you'll do fine".

That sounds like my university life too - apart from the just 1 week bit.

Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

331 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-11 : 00:13:46
"When in doubt, pick C"
"Pick the choice which is the longest"

Or, if you have a watch with a second hand, you can assign letters to each quadrant. If when you look down at your watch and it's 5 seconds before the next minute, the answer would be "D"

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page

Nazim
A custom title

1408 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-11 : 00:41:29
i have a better way

Toss a coin . mark the Head as A and Tail as B. which ever loses remove from the option (say A loses we are left with B now|). then mark C with head and D with tail repeat the same. say we are left with D. now again toss between B and D which ever wins in your answer. Repeat this for every question

But remember , Once you are thru with all the question . repeat the whole process to Crosscheck your answers.

-------------------------
What lies behind you and what lies ahead of you are small matters compared to what lies within you.-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

1157 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-11 : 01:19:39
I think statisticly if you go straight down the line and pick the same answer for every question as opposed to random guessing on each question you're better off. Of course "better off" is relative, you'll look like a real putz compared to the people that studied.

Justin

Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-11 : 02:33:16
Random or same answers for each question should end up with zero - can get the same result by not answering anything and going down the pub.

Go to Top of Page

sf
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-11 : 08:52:47
Hey dick, don't tell me that you were an A' student
but just for your stupidity there are scripts that
can do what i asked.
quote:
Does anybody thought or came up with a piece of magic how to measure success?
Whoever dies with the most toys wins.

Not really magic, but it's true.

quote:

I've found one really great way to do well on tests: STUDY GODDAMMIT!

You certainly can't do worse on a test if you studied for it than if you didn't. Studying may not make you smarter, but it definitely does not make you dumber.

Whether this is related to SQL or not, if you're looking for someone to say to you, "Sure, sit on your ass for a week getting laid or drunk or stoned or any combination of the three instead of studying, you'll do fine" you need to move on to another web site.

I think it's really sad that you're spending time looking for someone to validate your own laziness instead of applying yourself to a goal you appear to want to achieve. If that's the case, shit, just hire someone to take the test for you.

[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-11 : 13:13:23
Al,

Are you just trolling looking to stir up debate, or what? Let's be honest, you come to a site dedicated to MS SQL Server and post something "NOT RELATED TO SQL" in the Site Related Discussions forum. Your post has nothing to do with the site either, and should have been placed in the Yak Forum, if anywhere. Then you ask about measuring success which is probably one of the all-time great philosophical debates, and then start asking about tricks on how to take a multiple-choice test.

Your question didn't make any sense, and could hardly be taken seriously, but when you got some flip responses, you jump in and call people names (that's really mature) and insist that there's a script to do what you want! Why didn't you state in your question that you're looking for a script? And what kind of script is it, if it's not SQL? Why did you post here if it's not SQL? And if you know all about this script, why did you ask us about it?

If you want help to tune-up a SQL script, you'd get better results by posting the script and then asking for suggestions.

Next time leave the script-kiddie attitude at home.

Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 03:05:45
nr,

quote:

Company just asked me to take quiz online tests for VB6 and sql server 7 (normally I would refuse as irrelevant but I was bored).
Both tests had stuff about RDO (and not ADO or DAO) - shows how up to date they are.
Took me a while to figure out what those questions were talking about.

Was that MSB?

I took this test for them and told them it was out of date, but I also know one of the programmers who devised it about 2 years ago for them...

Peace

Rick

Go to Top of Page

cez
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 04:45:21
Don't bother if you have some pieces that you didn't learn. All the questions will be from these sections. So the chance for you to fail this exam is so big that I'm afraid to tell you. So I guess the only option for you is to sit near a good student, take some very good glaces and try to read anything :))

Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 14:35:09
quote:

Was that MSB?

Indeed. Love quizes that are so bad you have to guess what the questions are about.
In the summary report it said some were DAO and some RDO - didn't spot that but could be true.

Also said company wide there have been 3 tests and server wide 14 - probably not a very successful testing company.
Someone on the VB one got 22%.

Go to Top of Page

Page47
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 14:53:11
quote:
...there are scripts that can do what i asked.

Wow!! Really? I've been looking those my whole life!! I just got off the phone with my bank and took out a second mortgage and booked a one-way to Vagas. Would you mind forwarding the scripts to me? Thanks.

Oh wait...How many experience points or what level magi do I need to be to use this kind of magic?

<O>
Go to Top of Page

RickD

3608 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-16 : 02:50:00
nr,

Yeah, even the bloke I know who programmed it said it was boll*x.

Peace

Rick

Go to Top of Page

M.E.
Aged Yak Warrior

539 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-17 : 16:58:29
Hmm, I smell a readers challenge number 4 coming out of this topic.

need to involve yaks somehow

-----------------------
Take my advice, I dare ya
Go to Top of Page

RickD

3608 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-18 : 04:08:30
Questions concerning the drinking antics of yaks maybe?

Peace

Rick

Go to Top of Page

M.E.
Aged Yak Warrior

539 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-18 : 16:27:35
I was actually thinking more along the lines of :

If a yak is writting a multiple choice exam, please come up with a piece of magic that will determine the 's choice of

-----------------------
Take my advice, I dare ya
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -