Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Poll Discussion
 Poll: What screen resolution do you read SQLTeam.com?

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-12 : 08:54:32
This thread goes with the poll What screen resolution do you read SQLTeam.com?.

Arnold Fribble
Yak-finder General

1961 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-12 : 11:28:17
Graz, Please don't use the result of this poll to modify the minimum usable size of the website -- the screen size has nothing* to do with the width of the browser window.

*ok, that's an exaggeration: very few people browse with windows wider than their screen resolution.

Edited by - Arnold Fribble on 07/12/2002 11:30:11
Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-12 : 11:58:29
Ok. Actually I've been considering ways to make it usefull in a narrower window. Possible making the fonts on the two side columns one size smaller.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

AjarnMark
SQL Slashing Gunting Master

3246 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-12 : 17:32:52
I run 1280x1024 resolution, but I do not maximize my browser window. I run the browser full-height, but only about 75% wide so I can still horizontally cascade windows.

Go to Top of Page

Teroman
Posting Yak Master

115 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 05:21:47
I'm running in 1400 x 1050, using mozilla, and can say that the text in the front page articles etc is teeny-tiny. However, all is well in the forums!

Also, as I write this the background to this form is black, not sure that is right.

Been testing in IE only methinks

Go to Top of Page

pmalooi
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 07:43:21
Use 800x600 and no problems here, just a lot of vertical scrolling!

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 09:24:28
quote:
I'm running in 1400 x 1050, using mozilla, and can say that the text in the front page articles etc is teeny-tiny. However, all is well in the forums!
I also have small text with Mozilla, due to it's default font size of 16 pixels. It looks much better at 18 pixels.
quote:
Also, as I write this the background to this form is black, not sure that is right.
I just checked the Snitz code and I think they goofed with one of the color settings. It seems that IE ignores this setting and Mozilla doesn't.
quote:
Been testing in IE only methinks

Funnily enough, this weekend I got involved in a somewhat raging debate in a newsgroup over various features and conformity of different browsers. Ultimately it came down to the fact that EVERY browser does something right and some other things wrong, even when using validated HTML code. My favorite example was the fact that Opera renders its own home page less accurately than IE and Mozilla do It's not a big difference really, but it shut up a couple of Opera-Nazis claiming that it was perfect.

Oh yeah, check out the SQL Team home page in Opera, if you want to see some really funky stuff. Compare the background color on the left side vs. the right, and the login button at the bottom left. So much for Opera's HTML compliance...

Go to Top of Page

Teroman
Posting Yak Master

115 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 12:56:14
Hmm, tried changing the font size, but it made the rest of the web super big. Those large letters intimidated my, so the setting had to go back im afraid.

Weird thing is, some of the front page is OK, eg the resolution options for this poll.

Take class definition

Ctrl + C
Ctrl + V

Job Done!

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-15 : 13:04:55
Look in Preferences under the Appearance:Font tab, try changing the setting there instead of using the text zoom feature. 18 pixels at 100% text zoom looks almost identical to IE at medium text size, and is very readable to me at 1280x960.

It's one of those things where there is enough latitude in the HTML and CSS standards for the developers to implement a feature in different ways, and thus lead to the same page displaying differently. The black color in the reply section is definitely a bug in the Snitz code, if graz wants to change it then it should go away.

Go to Top of Page

RocketScientist
Official SQLTeam Chef

85 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-16 : 22:45:16
You asked.

1152x768.

Anybody want to take a guess what I'm browsing on?? :)

chris.

Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-16 : 23:35:57
quote:

You asked.

1152x768.

Anybody want to take a guess what I'm browsing on?? :)

chris.

Mac?

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

KHeon
Posting Yak Master

135 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-17 : 07:39:16
At work I use a resolution of 1152x864 (crappy 8mb ATI Rage card) but at home I use 1600x1200 (much nicer 32mb TnT2 Ultra card). However, just like AjarnMark said, I also don't use the browser full screen. I typically have anywheres from 2-6 (sometimes more) [IE] windows open at a time and generally just do a Cascade on them, which is often wide enough to handle most sites. Font sizes all around on SQLTeam are not that bad at either resolution.

Kyle Heon
PixelMEDIA, Inc.
Senior Application Programmer, MCP
kheon@pixelmedia.com
Go to Top of Page

RocketScientist
Official SQLTeam Chef

85 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-17 : 12:28:24
Powerbook, pre-DVI.

Looking at those nifty new 800Mhz PB's with DVI. One of those attached to a nifty 23" HD Cinema display....

At any rate, I'm reading in mozilla, one of the post-1.0 beta builds. I've got the window at about half-width and 3/4 height.

Go to Top of Page

Teroman
Posting Yak Master

115 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-17 : 12:34:34
Rob, thats what i did, sorry!

Nice to see a few Mozilla people here, these nice tab folder are sooo much better that opening load of windows, and easier if you configure open in tab to be middle button.

Now if only it would respect the scrolling when i click the middle button and move the pointer about. thats all i miss about IE.

I'm sure it'll all come in time

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-17 : 12:52:16
Actually, I'm not a regular Mozilla user, but DAMN, those tabs are nice! Sure is easier than a billion windows...

Honestly, while it's a nice feature, I think that Mozilla's font options only complicate the problem of getting pages to display nicely. That's one thing I DON'T miss in IE. It's really frustrating to have someone complain "your page is FUBAR" only to find out they're using Opera with THEIR OWN stylesheet applied to MY page......or they changed every font option in Mozilla for no reason...

Yeah, I know, use CSS... Thank god for it, it helps somewhat...

Go to Top of Page

aclarke
Posting Yak Master

133 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-26 : 12:25:20
I think I've mentioned the mozilla problems with this site before ... Oh well now I just make sure I use MSIE when visiting the site.

I think website designs like this one that let you use whatever horizontal real estate you happen to have are the best. Generally, anyways. Most of my clients/peers disagree and want 800x600 designs or whatever.

Anyways I browse at 1600*1200 on my primary monitor and 1024*768 on my 2nd monitor. My window covers about 2/3 of the width and all of the height of my main monitor.

If you want to know what resolution people use and what their window sizes are, you can capture that with javascript and/or just read your server logs.

Go to Top of Page

graz

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-26 : 15:15:58
quote:
If you want to know what resolution people use and what their window sizes are, you can capture that with javascript and/or just read your server logs.

Yes, but that's work on MY part. Clicking on a poll is work on YOUR part

Plus I couldn't think of any other ideas for a poll when I put this up.

One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-26 : 20:04:48
1024 x 768
but beer causes tunnel vision so only middle part visible.

I don't see things like the posters name - think they're all robvolk or merkin anyway.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -