Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Site Related Discussions
 Server Performance

Author  Topic 

sql777
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

314 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-23 : 19:51:41
Hi

Just curiuos, what are the server specs and what sort of CPU percentage does this site use?

I know you get almost 500K a month so I was curios as to how and what kind of server it takes to dish out that many pages...and how sql server handles it?

I read somewhere(?) that graz said the main page of the forums takes 100 sql calls to generate, does the server spike during that call? I'd imagine that is pretty stressful on a server!

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-24 : 00:19:58
Pre-post Disclaimer: stolyichanay Citrona is a very good drink. Very good!

Well, that's a darn good question. And I'm going to give you a brutally honest answer: I really don't know.

ORCSweb does the hosting and I've no idea what it's hosted on. They are an amazing company. They aren't the cheapest and it certainly shows. Quality hosting. Great customer service. And I'll repeat that when I've sobered up tomorrow. Seriously, if you're looking for good customer service give them a shout. And tell 'em I sent ya.

As for the Snitz Forums ... that's a little different subject. It's free. It's been great. It's going to get better. It just doesn't scale that well. To generate www.sqlteam.com/forums/default.asp takes 119 SQL calls the last time I checked. Active.asp takes something like 1,000 queries per 100 topcis. It's just nuts. I'm suprised ORCSweb hasn't booted me :) Fortunately almost all the database calls are pretty efficient.

There's another version of the forums coming soon (3.4) that removes most of the SQL queries. It's going to be quick! Snitz is going to scale! I'm sooo excited. I've gotten a chance to help out a little on the SQL side and I'm pretty darn impressed. From the database side there isn't much they could do to make it better and still be cross-platform (Access, SQL Server, mySQL).

Oh and I'll drop them an email and ask about the hosting. But probably not very early tomorrow.

-> ->

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

sql777

314 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-24 : 05:16:50
Ok a dedicated box must be well over $500 at Orcsweb! But yes you certainly get what you pay for, I have heard nothing but the best about them!

Thanks graz!

Go to Top of Page

sql777

314 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-24 : 14:17:41
wow, the active threads page is almost 1/2 meg in size! You must be spiking the server on each request on that one!

Go to Top of Page

sql777

314 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-24 : 14:20:16
ok active threads page is almost 1/2 meg, and I just counted roughly the queries and its between 200-300 topics, meaning 3000 queries? I don't believe this graz, that is really nuts!

Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

4149 Posts

Posted - 2002-07-24 : 15:42:41
Here was the original thread from Snitz (http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29338&ARCHIVE=&whichpage=1). After looking at it, it appears that 4,000 queries is a bit of an exageration. Oh well, the drink will do that to you. I do know that in certain situations, active.asp is running 3-4 queries per topic returned. Especially if you're running as a moderator.

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -