Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Using DTS to Automate a Data Import Process

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2002-08-11 : 10:39:23
In this article I show you how to create a DTS Package that can be used to automate a file download/import process. It's a little longer than the other articles I have written for SQLTeam and will require some work on your part if you want to implement it, but I think you will find it interesting.

Article Link.

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-22 : 16:19:05
Thanks for writing this article. I've needed to automate the user data import into our databases for some time.

I didn't see a technique for creating the destination table "ContactsImport" with dbo owner using DTS.

SamC

Go to Top of Page

Equator
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2003-09-30 : 08:24:06
Thanks for a useful and informative article. Can anyone tell me if the Contacts table is overwritten each time the DTS task is run? Can the table be read when the process is running?

Thanks,

Gareth
Go to Top of Page

lbmouse
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2005-03-22 : 09:39:02
Good article. I have a question.

Your first requirement was "Connect to an ftp site and download a specific file". How would you handle this if you did not know the name of the file? For example, I need to grab a file every few minutes that has the format cstmtMMDDYYYYHHSSTT.txt. I can't seem to find a way to get the FTP task to allow for filename wildcards or to grab everything in a hot directory. Other than writing a custom ActiveX Script task, do you have any ideas?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

jeroenvanloon
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2005-04-04 : 08:30:58
Hi,

I am looking for the same thing. How can i download a file via FTP (in DTS) with a variable name. Like 'name.20050404.zip'.

Hoping that you already found the right answer.

Thanks,
Jeroen

quote:
Originally posted by lbmouse

Good article. I have a question.

Your first requirement was "Connect to an ftp site and download a specific file". How would you handle this if you did not know the name of the file? For example, I need to grab a file every few minutes that has the format cstmtMMDDYYYYHHSSTT.txt. I can't seem to find a way to get the FTP task to allow for filename wildcards or to grab everything in a hot directory. Other than writing a custom ActiveX Script task, do you have any ideas?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -